- Isaac Asiamah has put the expenditure on AFCON 2019 at $4.5million, the same amount paid as prize money for the winner, Algeria
- He told parliament that the country budgeted $6.3million but with the Black Stars exit at the 1/16 stage in a match against Tunisia, the country saved $1.7million
- The minister said the ministry met all the demands of the players and the captain Dede Ayew acknowledged they had received the best of preparation for the tournament
The Minister of Youth and Sports has disclosed that Ghana’s total expenditure at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) was $4.5million.
Isaac Asiamah confirmed this when he briefed Parliament Wednesday, July 24 concerning the AFCON budget.
He said the country had budgeted $6.3million for the tournament but saved $1.7million after exiting at the last 16 stage.
The Sports Minister acknowledged that the Black Stars’ performance at the tournament was “below expectations.”
He further gave a complete breakdown of the $4.5million spent during the AFCON in Egypt.
Per the breakdown, $1.14million was spent on accommodation, while $8,541 was spent on visa fees.
Airfare accounted for $924,168, while per diems for players, technical staff and additional technical staff were $187,050, $129,600 and $90,750, respectively.
Meanwhile, feeding cost was $419,300, internal transportation was $43,092 and winning bonuses of players accounted for $965,405.
Ghanaian hearts were once again broken after Tunisia secured a penalty shootout win over the Black Stars in the round of 16 of the AFCON.
Following what was a tensed 1-1 draw after both regulation time and extra time, the North African side triumphed in the shootout.
Caleb Ekuban’s miss proved to be Ghana’s undoing, as Tunisia netted all their penalties to emerge 5-4 winners.
The Black Stars will now have to wait till 2021 to attempt to end its four-decade long wait for a major trophy.
Below is the full breakdown of Ghana’s 2019 AFCON budget;
1. Airfare $924, 168.00
2. Per diem (players) $187,050.00
3. Per diem (Technical Staff) $129,600.00
4. Per diem (Additional Technical Staff) $90, 750.00
5. Winning Bonus (Players) $965,405.00
6. Winning Bonus (Technical) $347,027.00
7. Winning Bonus( Additional Technical Staff) $177,000.00
8. Accommodation $1, 143,519.00
9. Feeding $419,300.00
10. Match tickets $41,750.00
11. Medicals $44, 574.00
12. Visa Fees $ 8,541.00
13. Internal Transportation $43, 092.00
14. Incidentals $ 42,576.00
Ghana News Today: Ghana Football Awards 2019 | #Yencomgh
Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition? Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.