- Mobile money fraudsters have introduced a new way of outsmarting their innocent victims
- They call the MTN subscriber and lie that they have won a cash prize from MTN which they need to redeem with money
- Then they ask the one to follow a procedure they give over the phone in other to pay the money to redeem the prize
- They then mentioned some codes and numbers to be used
- If one is not careful, all the money in his or her wallet would be withdrawn in just a minute when the one follows the procedure to enter the codes
YEN.com.gh has learnt of the new Mobile Money tricks being used by some fraudsters to dupe their clients.
In a new video seen on social media, a fraudster was captured employing new procedures of stealing from their unsuspecting victims.
In the video, the fraudster had called to say he was reaching the client from the Osu branch of MTN to inform him that he had won a prize from MTN.
However, he added, that he needed to send some money to an account for him to get the prize money.
He then asked his victim to follow some procedures in transferring money into an account so that he could get the prize money.
He mentioned some codes and numbers used in that operation, and the whole procedure looked enticing that one would have easily fallen for it, especially, a greedy person who wants to have more money when he or she has not worked for it.
The victim was smart enough to have noted that it was one of those fraudulent calls, and so he also outsmarted the thief by failing to follow the procedures.
The client, after pretending to be following the procedure, then asked the fraudster if he the victim could pass by the Osu office since he was around there.
However, the fraudster quickly said there was no need for him to come to the office, and that if he is not interested in the offer, he could give it to someone else.
There and then, the client started insulting him to let him know that he has caught him as a thief.
The thief also fired back, resulting in attacks and counter attacks.
Meanwhile, in an earlier report, YEN.com.gh also reported how a cock saved another MTN mobile money user from being defrauded.
Yenkasa: What do you make of the 10% increment in transport fares | #Yencomgh
Have national and human interest issues to discuss?
Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.