- Soldiers alleged to have been contacted by conspirators in the coup plot have been arrested
- According to Information Minister Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, they are in custody and are being interrogated in connection with this enterprise
- He added that government will reveal the details of the interrogation once it's done
At least one military officer and some soldiers have also been picked up as part of investigations into the alleged attempted coup plot on Ghana’s presidency.
Information Minister Kojo Oppong Nkrumah noted that the soldiers are being interrogated and will be put forward in the court of law in the coming days.
“There are military persons including an officer who are in custody and being interrogated in connection with this incident,” Oppong Nkrumah said in a radio interview.
READ ALSO: Seized ‘coup weapons’ can’t effect mission - Security analyst
Mr. Nkrumah also noted that the issue at hand cannot be triviliased or discussed on social media, like Ghanaians want to.
“This is not a matter that we can just trivialise or discuss on Facebook and WhatsApp platforms, we need to commend our security agencies. The group have put in place measures to procure instruments to execute their plans and have even started testing some of the instruments and that was why the Security Agencies had to step in immediately. From the brief given by the security agencies they have been monitoring the activities of a group of persons who had plans of overthrowing the government for about 15 months now”.
Government on Monday, September 23, 2019, announced a planned attack on the jubilee House had been detected and foiled by a combined team of CID and BNI operatives.
The planned attack was intended to destabilise the country, government said in a statement.
READ ALSO: 460 teacher trainees sacked from 46 colleges of Education nationwide
The said operation, according to a statement from the Information ministry, took place on Thursday, September 19, 2019.
YEN.com.gh earlier reported that a video has emerged online alleged to be Malawian President Peter Mutharika, travelling to Lilongwe, the capital city of the country with a fleet of cars following him.
The video shows a long number of cars alleged to be the convoy of President Mutharika, on his way to Lilongwe.
Ghana News Today: 2 collapse at Independence Square over SHS placement confusion | #Yencomgh
READ ALSO: NDC ordered to apologize to Okyenhene in 3 days or face serious ban
Want to be featured on YEN.com.gh? Send us a message on our Facebook page or on Instagram with your stories, photos or videos.