CST: Feel free to report telcos who deduct 9% tax upfront - Government

CST: Feel free to report telcos who deduct 9% tax upfront - Government

- Deputy minister for communications, George Andah, said all the telcos have been directed to stop the upfront deductions made on mobile credit top-ups

- He warned service providers who disregard the directive of running the risk of facing sanctions

- Government has however urged the public to report telcos that still charge them the 9% CST

Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in

The government has urged the public to report telecommunication companies that still charge them the 9% Communication Service Tax (CST).

Deputy Minister for Communications, George Andah, said all the telcos have been directed to stop the upfront deductions made on mobile credit top-ups by service users.

Andah said the CST which was increased from 6% to 9% earlier this year, must be implemented in the same manner as it is with the health insurance levy and the value-added tax.

READ ALSO: Man goes to toilet on grass in front of Jubilee House; serious photo drops

He warned service providers who disregard the directive of running the risk of facing sanctions including losing their licenses.

“As far as the directive signed by the minister is concerned, the telcos are to ensure that immediate effect is given to the directive. Anybody that is still not experiencing the directive has every right to file a complaint with the National Communications Authority (NCA) and I believe the NCA will act. If the telcos are mindful of the fact that the minister has the capacity to issue policy as far as her sector is concerned, then they have to do the needful.
There are a number of consequences for anybody operating in Ghana not following policy decision of the sector. It could range from fines to the withdrawal of licenses,” George Andah said.

READ ALSO: Roads Minister vows to end contracts of contractors who insult Akufo-Addo

In other news, mobile phone users are to re-register their SIM numbers (Subscriber Identity Module) from January 1, 2020, to June 30, 2020, or forfeit their number.

According to the Minister of Communications, Ursula Owusu Ekuful, the new directive is to ensure and monitor the activities of bad people.

The minister also revealed that forms for the re-registration process or new SIM cards will be by the approved national biometric identity cards.

READ ALSO: Re-register your SIM or lose your mobile number - Ursula

PAY ATTENTION: Your favourite news website, YEN.com.gh, has been nominated for online portal of the year by the National Communications Awards. Please click here to vote and help us win.

Ghana News Today: University of Ghana Interdicts Lecturers Caught in BBC’s Exposé | #Yencomgh

Subscribe to watch new videos

Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition? Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.

Source: Yen Ghana

Mailfire view pixel