- Four alleged kidnappers of the Canadian girls in Kumasi have been freed
- The state attorney told the court the charge sheet had been changed
- Four others are still facing trial on charge of conspiracy to commit kidnapping and kidnapping
- Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
The state has dropped charges against four of the eight persons who were standing trial for their alleged involvement in the kidnapping of two Canadian girls in Kumasi, Ashanti Region of Ghana.
According to senior state attorney, Hilda Craig, the docket of the case has been reviewed, leaving only four others facing trial for the conspiracy to commit crime and kidnapping.
Trial judge, Justice George Buadi, discharged the four persons: Seidu Abubakar alias Mba, Abdul Nasir, Safiano Abubakar and Abdul Rahman Suleimana aka Wofa.
The remaining four accused facing the trial are Yusif Yakubu, Samson Aghalor aka Romeo, Elvis Ojeworye and Jeff Omarsar.
They have pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The prosecution said the four accused include three Nigerians and one Ghanaian.
On June 4, 2019, two Canadian girls who were volunteering in Kumasi were kidnapped.
The attorney told the court the girls were touched inappropriately and their bodies smeared with fowl blood.
ATTENTION: Your favourite news website, YEN.com.gh, has been nominated for online portal of the year by the National Communications Awards. Please click here to vote and help us win.
The alleged kidnappers took photos and videos and forwarded them to the families of the girls demanding money in return for their release.
The girls were rescued by a joint police and National Security team during a shootout.
Yao Vinepon was involved in a ghastly accident in the Volta Region three weeks ago while traveling to Peki for a funeral.
Ghana News Today: Police Violently Disperse Peaceful Student Protesters | #Yencomgh
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.