National Identification Authority (NIA) is an essential body mandated by the Ghanaian government to deal with identification matters. The body documents its citizens and issues them national IDs, which are very critical when seeking public services. They are also legally authorized to manage the National Identification System (NIS). Do you know where to find them or their contacts? Who knows, you might need their service someday.
In 2013, National Identification Authority was established by the president because of the increasing cases of undocumented citizens in the country then. Since its establishment, NIA Ghana has made a significant milestone in managing the National Identification System. Nowadays, you can access their services online or, better yet, visit them at 8 Gulf House Street, in Accra.
NIA registration requirements
All eligible citizens are supposed to present them physically at the head office for registration. Overall, the main requirements are:
- Personal information of the applicant – full names, date of birth, residential address and code
- Parents/guardians information
- Biometric information – fingerprints and an iris photograph
- Marital status and kin information
- Primary verification documents
In addition to the above requirements, first-time applicants are supposed to:
- Present a copy of the original birth certificate
- Come along with the Ghanaian passport
- Provide a digital address
- Provide original or photocopy of Neutralization Certificate
Qualifications for registration
Three persons to be registered are:
- All persons from age 0 and above
- Ghanaian citizens by birth living in the country
- Ghanaian citizens living abroad
How to go about the NIA registration process
Typically, NIA online registration entails three main steps. They include:
- An NIA official will fill your information in an application form.
- Present the form to a Mobile Registration Operator to enter the data into a computer.
- The same officer will take your photograph using a digital came, and you will sign to agree that the information you have provided in the NIA registration form is correct with the help of an electronic signature pad.
READ ALSO: NSS portal login, registration, enrollment
List of NIA registration centres
The body has its branches distributed all over the country to serve its citizens better. Currently, they have numerous gazetted registrations centres across the country. Some of the centres include:
- Greater Accra
- Volta region
- Oti region
- Northern East Region
- Bono East
- Upper East
- Upper West
- Adansi North (Adnasi asokwa)
- Adansi North (Formena)
- Adansi South (Akrofuom)
- Adansi South (New Edubiase)
- Afigya Kwabre North
- Afigya Kwabre South
- Ahafo Ano South east
- Ahafo Ano North
- Ayawaso Central Coordinate
- Amansie central (Odotobiri)
- Ningo-Prampram Coordinate
- Amansie West (Manso Nkwanta)
- Asante Akim Central and North
- Offinso South
- Old Tafo
- Sekyere South (Afigya Sekyere East)
- Sekyere kumawu
These are just but a few from a small number of selected regions. Find more on the official website according to your location. However, issuance of Ghana Cards is done according to the instructions provided on the collecting script an applicant is given.
The National Identification Authority is awarded the responsibility of employing a worthy staff to assist with the documentation of its citizens. Note; NIA Ghana recruitment is entirely based on the qualification of an applicant. Also, NIA Ghana jobs are posted on the state platforms.
Recently, the body recruited Commissioners for Oaths. The commissioners were employed to assist with the completion of the nationwide mass documentation of its citizens.
Primarily, their role was to give guidance to applicants who do not have the proper identification and proof documents. They guide them on how to take the oath. This year, the exercise closed on the 30th of October. If you missed out, you can check back next year.
Qualified candidates are typically advised to send their scanned application documents to email@example.com. Also, the National Identification Authority can only contact shortlisted candidates.
NIA address and contact information
If you seek to get identification services, you can either contact them online or head straight to their offices.
- NIA head office physical address: No.8 Nelson Mandela Avenue, Off Gulf House Street South Legon, Accra, Ghana
- Telephone number: (+233) 302-99-9306 – 9
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postal address: P. O. Box M680 Ministries Post Office Accra, Ghana
Similarly, you can also get them on all social media platforms. Here are its official social media handles:
Which NIA contact is best according to you? Well, that is up to you.
With time, NIA has made the lives of its citizens simple. Now they can access services in both public and private sectors with ease. With the help of technological advancements, people can access most of their services online. However, one can also reach out to them using their addresses, social media platforms, or visiting them at the nearest centre near them.