Many people in Ghana have had many questions concerning AngloGold Ashanti. What it is all about? What are some of the careers they offer?
AngloGold Ashanti is the name used to refer to a global gold mining company formed as a result of a meagre between AngloGold and Ashanti goldfield cooperation in 2004. It is identified to be among the leading gold producers in the world measured by production. It owns 21 operations in four continents. Its prominence is also seen when it was listed on the Johannesburg, Accra, Landon Australia and New York stock exchanges.
The rapidly growing company has never gone unnoticed. AngloGold managed to produce 4.98 ounces of gold in 2008 from all its operations which were an estimate of seven percent of the world’s total production, and in the third quarter of 2014, it was listed as the world’s third-largest producer of gold after Newmont Mining and Barrick gold despite experiencing a drop to 4.6 ounces of gold in 2009.
AngloGold Ashanti jobs
To apply for a job in this company an individual must meet all the required qualifications for the particular post they are applying for and also ensure they fill up the required Anglogold Ashanti job application form and submit it.
They should submit their CVs and application forms on their applicant tracking system, on the find a job section.
AngloGold Ashanti careers
AngloGold Ashanti recruitment opportunities are numerous, ranging from both mining and non-mining related opportunities. They have set goals that are aimed towards the building of the employees’ self-confidence, hence enabling them to contribute freely toward the company’s betterment, to learn and flourish.
They also strive towards ensuring employees acquire the right roles related to their careers and specialization. This encourages the spirit of shared values in everything they do and helps employees develop themselves, acquire new skills and ideas as they also assist the company to expand and grow.
The AngloGold Ashanti Ghana also offers full-time bursaries assistance for graduate training and provision of work exposure. They offer bursaries for mining-related careers such as:
- Mining engineering
- Mine surveying
- Instrumentation and process control
- Mechanical, Electrical and Chemical engineering
- Environmental Metallurgy and Geology.
Non-mining related careers include:
- Human Resource
- Supply chain
AngloGold Ashanti recruitment 2019
AngloGold Ashanti Ghana Limited is currently on a journey of redeveloping and modernizing Obuasi Gold Mine to make it a long-time profitable operation and efficient. Their plan is aimed towards fully mechanizing of the underground operation so it may produce up to an average of 5000 tonnes per day. They are seeking experienced and self-motivated persons to join their motivated team.
Job: Mechanical supervisor-surface mine infrastructure
Role and purpose-he or she will be accountable for monitoring and controlling of the output of surface mine mechanical refurbishment to standard, through applying of operational supervisory policies, standards, procedures and processes of maximizing plant availability in a sustainable cost-effective manner and minimize operational risks to meet the objectives of the business.
- Ensuring lack of defect, objective and maximum safety when working following the total quality management provided principles.
- Adhering to the environmental management plan of the mining site.
- Gathering information needed for the mechanical superintendents -reporting the performance for surface mine infrastructure.
- Conducting audits periodically of all surface mine infrastructure during later maintenance and refurbishing.
- Conducting reviews later maintenance and the refurbishment of surface mine infrastructure as a way of identifying actions to ensure improvement continues.
- Monitoring of the general physical condition of plant assets and reports.
- Monitoring preventive and corrective actions as necessary.
- Stopping of equipment from working if it is unsafe to use
- Reporting directly to the superintendent about issues and identifying and execution of improvement based projects.
- Proposing of cost-saving projects
- Identifying, communicating and implementation of potential cost-reduction initiatives.
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in mechanical or maintenance supervision, or equivalent
- Financial, commercial and project management through work experience and courses
READ ALSO: Retrenched Anglogold Ashanti workers surround head office over unpaid monies
AngloGold Ashanti Obuasi
Obuasi is an underground and open pit gold mine located in Obuasi municipal district, Ashanti area. It has existed for more than 112 years.
The mine was however closed in 2014 following numerous issues with profits and increased social issues such as illegal mining and also environmental issues. AngloGold Ashanti Obuasi address is Obuasi, Ghana.
AngloGold Ashanti Obuasi jobs
The jobs offered include mechanical supervisor-winders, Mine captain under the department of production, engineering supervisor under shaft maintenance, and mechanical supervisor under processing plan among other jobs.
AngloGold Ashanti Tarkwa
Iduapriem goldmine is located in the western region of Ghana, ten kilometers in the Southern area of Tarkwa. It’s owned by AngloGold Ashanti. AngloGold initially had only 85% of the mine but managed to acquire the remaining 15% in 2007.
It has contributed to AngloGold production by 11%. The company has employed 1447 and is still creating more employment opportunities as time goes by. It has not experienced any tragedies or accidents since 1999.
Environmental impacts of the mine
- The mine has been criticized by people especially local farmers throughout the years of its operation. It has been accused particularly of being the cause of pollution, drying up of local rivers in the area and water sources. Most especially it’s seen as lacking an action plan to curb the negative environmental impacts.
- The mine was also temporarily suspended in 2010 by the environmental protection agency Ghana to build storage facilities around the mine, hence reducing the effects caused to the environment by the tailing facilities which were in place.
Anglogold Ashanti Ghana contact
You can reach out to the company via the head office contacts below:
- Head Office
- + 27 (0) 11 637 6000
- 76 Rahima Moosa Street
- Johannesburg 2001
- South Africa
Having discussed AngloGold Ashanti Ghana, it is important to note that it has brought numerous advantages than disadvantages. The positive effects include improving the living standards of majority of the Ghanaian citizens through the provision of more AngloGold Ashanti jobs. It has also led to economic development by increasing the currencies earned by the countries participating in gold trade.
- Anglogold Ashanti ordered to pay GHC9 million to family of drowned employee
- Ghana overtakes South Africa to become Africa’s top gold producer
- Gory accident takes life of AngloGold's Sustainability Manager Nana Bekoe