- The suspect entered a shop as if to shop but later demanded all the money from the cashier
- He gave the clerk a note stating he had a sick child and allowed 15 seconds for compliance
- The clerk cooperated and thereafter he walked out of the shop without harming anyone
- Police say they are probing the incident with the view of establishing suspect's identity
- Residents and police have condemned the incident stating the man put his life in danger
- Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
A man has left the world agape after he robbed a pharmacy claiming he had a sick child he needed to take care of.
The man estimated to be aged between 30-40, entered Rite Aid store in Philadephia on Friday, January 3, to shop but moments later, he demanded all the money from the cashier.
READ ALSO: Moyinoluwa Adeyemi: Nigerian builds android watch that tells time in Yoruba language
READ ALSO: Fella Makafui reportedly unfollows Medikal; deletes his photos on Instagram
In a statement, Philadelphia Police said the suspect who is yet to be identified, issued the shop employee a note with demands that also included an apology.
"An unknown male entered the Rite Aid located at 7401 Ogontz Avenue initially acting as if to make a purchase.
The suspect then produced a demand note, handing it to the employee which read in part, “Give me all the money. I’m sorry, I have a sick child. You have 15 seconds.” Read the statement isued on Tuesday, January 7.
After being given the undetermined amount of money, the man who was dressed in a gray hooded zip up jacket, denim style jeans, black sneaker, gloves and baseball cap fled the scene on foot.
The incident was captured on CCTV and police have urged the public to volunteer information that may lead to his capture.
"The suspect was given an undetermined amount of money. The offender fled the area on foot north towards 75th Street. No injuries were reported," police said.
According to a report filed by CNN on Thursday, January 9, a similar incident happened in June 2019.
A man armed with a gun demanded money from a shop to facilitate his daughter's kidney transplant.
The suspect whose identity is still a mystery, however, left the shop without the money stating the funds could still not help him.
Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition? Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.