- Minister for Roads and Highways has revealed that contractors have resumed work on the Eastern Corridor road
- The Sector Minister said the completion of the road would shorten the time users will spend on it
Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
Minister for Roads and Highways, Kwesi Amoako Atta has revealed that contractors have resumed work on the Eastern Corridor road.
The construction of the road, according to the road minister had been neglected and residents and commuters have been appealing to government to resume work on the deplorable roads which they say is negatively affecting them.
Speaking on the final day of the Results Fair, the Amoako Atta said the completion of the road would shorten the time users would have to spend on it.
READ ALSO: Japan minister plans to take 2-week paternity leave
“I am happy to announce that as we speak, the Eastern Corridor road which has been neglected for a very long time. About six or seven contractors are on it working on that stretch of road and it is very important because it links the south to the north,” he said.
Being the shortest route between the Southern sector and the Northern sector of the country, the 965-kilometre Eastern Corridor Road links five regions; the Greater Accra, Eastern, Ashanti, Volta, and Upper East regions.
The minister has in the past promised that the Eastern Corridor road will be ready by the end of 2020.
Earlier information from the government indicated that COCOBOD was funding the Have-Hohoe Lots 1&2 (51.3km), and Hohoe -Jasikan (32km) stretches of the road.
Work on these sections run into difficulties when payments by COCOBOD were suspended.
The Dodo Pepesu-Nkwanta section was being funded by an EU loan of a little over 320 million euros.
The Sinohydro facility is also covering areas that have yet to see any work on stretches spanning Have to Hohoe and the 168km section from Oti-Damanko to Gbinitri.
READ ALSO: Mahama launches electronic fund raising platform to support his campaign
In other news, the flag bearer of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), John Dramani Mahama on Thursday, January 16, 2020 launched an electronic payment platform that will enable party members and sympathizers contribute financially to the 2020 campaign.
Speaking at the launch at the Trade Fair Centre in Accra, the former president said the innovation is also to ensure transparency of how political parties are funded in the country.
The electronic payment platform will help the NDC mobilize funds through the collection of dues and also an easy and simple way for non-party members to make contributions to the party’s cause.
READ ALSO: Akufo-Addo is not like Mahama; he has been accountable to Ghanaians - Mustapha Hamid
Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.