- The Catholic Bishops Conference has threatened to start a massive campaign against political parties who are not committed to ending political violence
- According to the NDC, the reason for their refusal to endorse the document was that the document was not exhaustive enough
- Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
The Catholic Bishops Conference has threatened to start a massive campaign against political parties who are not committed to ending political violence.
These threats come after the National Democratic Congress(NDC), refused to sign a document that sought them to agree to end political violence.
According to the NDC, the reason for their refusal to endorse the document was that the document was not exhaustive enough.
Speaking at the ceremony on Tuesday, February 4, 2020, General Secretary of the Catholic Bishops Conference, Very Reverend Lazarus Anondee insisted that the country’s democracy and peace must be safeguarded.
READ ALSO: I was fired in 2014 because Mahama wanted me out - Kwesi Appiah
“Don’t be surprised if any party does not demonstrate a commitment to ending this, we may have no choice but to use our pulpits to campaign against such parties because if you encourage this, you are not encouraging democracy. You are not trying to help build our country,” he said.
According to the NDC, taking into consideration that all the issues concerning political violence had been addressed not addressed, it was too premature to sign any document.
The NDC, however, called on other stakeholders like the Electoral Commission to be a signatory to the document to ensure accountability since just four out of the 22 recommendations concerned political parties
“… we think that the content is good but we do not have a way of making sure that it becomes effective,” Alex Segbefia said on behalf of the NDC at the ceremony.
READ ALSO: Missing tricycles: NPP's Kandahar reportedly in possession of missing 400 tricycles
In other news, a militia group aligned to the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP), Kandahar Boys, is responsible for the 400 missing tricycles which were reported in the news.
According to a Joy News report, the Kandahar boys allegedly forced their way into the premises of Northern Development Authority and took away 400 tricycles without any approval.
Executive Director for CALID, Mohammed Awal Bapio, said he saw the containers there on October 26, 2019, but when he asked the landlord, who rented part of the space in the property to the group, he confirmed that they were bringing items to the premises.
READ ALSO: Simon Agbeko: Police officer pay bills for baby and donates crutches at Korle-Bu (photos, video)
This is what makes 4-year-old Nii Omanye aka Kwame Nkrumah the smartest child in Ghana| #Yencomgh
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.