- Ekiti state has recorded its first case of coronavirus as the total cases rise to eight in Nigeria
- The American suspected to have infected the Ekiti case has, however, died in the hospital of a yet-to-be-determined illness
- Another person who had contact with the American has tested negative but is still kept in a supervised self-isolation
Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
Ekiti state has recorded its first case of coronavirus with the victim testing positive after driving an American citizen from Ibadan, the Oyo state capital.
This was disclosed by the commissioner for health and human services, Dr Mojisola Yaya-Kolade, on Wednesday night, March 18.
YEN.com.gh gathers that Yaya-Kolade said the American has been confirmed dead by the Ekiti State Taskforce on COVID-19 led by Governor Kayode Fayemi.
READ ALSO: Foreigner dragged out of supermarket in Accra after she entered without cleaning her hands
According to the commissioner, an indigene of Ekiti state was suspected to have been infected while driving the American who was visiting Nigeria in the company of his caregiver, a Nigerian female of Ekiti origin.
She explained that the duo were driven by the confirmed case to Ibadan from the Murtala Muhammed Airport in Lagos to Ibadan, where they stayed for two weeks after which they arrived Ado Ekiti, the state capital, on Friday, March 13.
The American fell ill on Saturday, March 14 and was admitted into a private hospital from where he was rushed to a tertiary hospital where he died of complications of a yet-to-be-determined illness.
The commissioner said while the Covid-19 test run on the American was inconclusive, the result of the male driver was positive while that of the female caregiver was negative.
READ ALSO: I don't fear Coronavirus but I'm following rules - Obinim explains gloves and mask in new photos
The confirmed index case, according to the commissioner, has been quarantined at the State Isolation Centre while the caregiver who tested negative has been placed under observation in self-isolation.
Yaya-Kolade said Ekiti state government has started tracing the people they have had contact with.
She said the Oyo state government has also been contacted since it was recorded that they stayed in Ibadan for two weeks before arriving Ekiti.
The commissioner also noted that the confirmed case is in a stable condition and not showing symptoms while a repeat test will soon be conducted on the caregiver who tested negative.
She urged residents not to panic but abide by all the recommended preventive measures and report any suspected case by calling the 112 Emergency Number or 09062970434, 09062970435, 09062970436.
The Ekiti indigene is one of the five new COVID-19 cases announced on Wednesday in Abuja by the minister of health, Dr Osagie Ehanire.
Recall that five new cases of coronavirus (Covid-19) had been officially confirmed in Nigeria, bringing the number of the victims to eight as the deadly virus spreads beyond borders.
The new cases were confirmed by the special adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on new media, Tolu Ogunlesi, on Wednesday, March 18, barely twenty-four hours after the third case was reported.
In a series of tweet, Ogunlesi said four of the victims are Nigerians who just came from the United States of America and United Kingdom.
In another related report, the ruling APC said it would meet the health minister, Ehanire, over the current state of coronavirus in the country.
Nigeria recorded the third case of Covid-19 on Tuesday and there have been calls for border closure as virus hits hard beyond boundaries.
The ruling party, through its national chairman Adams Oshiomhole, says minister appointed by a government elected on its platform must be accountable to it.
Also, Nigerians have reacted to the federal government's restriction of travelers from China, Italy and other high-risk countries.
The restriction was put in place following the unending coronavirus pandemic facing the country.
The affected countries also include Iran, South Korea, Spain, Japan, France, Germany, USA, Norway, UK, Netherlands and Switzerland.
Many Nigerians who reacted to the news on social media supported the restriction move by the federal government. Others claimed the FG should have restricted the movement from these countries a long time ago.
According to them, European countries have closed their borders as well.
“Those Nigerians who came in are very selfish and St00pid, what on earth will make you to leave a well-developed society that has better chances of combating the virus and come to Nigeria, haven't they heard of self-quarantine and isolation???” a twitter user with the handle HannahDEUX95 tweeted.
"Shey they are people coming from abroad because this government refused to place a travel ban since? But you were busy talking about Churches and Mosques shutting down to prevent Covid-19 spread. Mtchewww!" @Manlike_ED tweeted.
Wankey Maduako said on Facebook: "People from these restricted countries can still connected from unrestricted counties. The best is to isolate and quarantine anyone coming into the country 14 days."
Good Timewith Ikenna said: "Had it been this was done a month ago, we wouldn't have recorded any case."
Hasby Bala said: "My dear late comers, all European countries closed their borders yesterday at 12.00noon no one is going out or coming in"
One on one with the young Ghanaian genius Angela Tabiri who has a PhD in Mathematics | #Yencomgh:
Have national and human interest issues to discuss? Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page