- Agric Minister says it is unnecessary to stock up food for the 14-day lockdown in Accra and Kumasi
- According to Mr. Afriyie Akoto, Ghana has a lot of food because of the Planting for Food and Jobs programme
- There has been mad rush by residents in Accra and Kumasi to stock up food after President Nana Akufo-Addo announced a two-week lockdown to stop the spread of the new coronavirus
- Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
Ghana’s Minister of Agriculture has told Ghanaians that it is needless rushing to stock food amid the two-week partial lockdown of Greater Accra and Greater Kumasi.
According to him, Ghana has more than enough food for everyone.
At a press conference in Accra on Monday, March 30, Dr Owusu Afriyie Akoto said Ghana is not at war.
READ ALSO: COVID-19 lockdown: NDC stops all communicators from going near radio and TV stations
“We are talking about just two weeks and if we are successful with what we want to do, within the period of two weeks, we will be back to normal,” he said.
The Agric minister’s concerns dovetail into those of the Minister for the Interior, Mr Ambrose Dery, who, on Saturday, March 28, described as “unnecessary” the mad rush for food, provisions and gas following President Nana Akufo-Addo’s announcement of a partial lockdown as part of measures to mitigate the spread of the coronavirus which has, so far, killed five people out of the 152, of which two have recovered.
In his national address on Friday night, March 27, the President said: “This, in essence, means that everyone resident in these areas must stay at home for the next two weeks”.
READ ALSO: Andre Ayew donates hand sanitizers and hand washing bins to the people of Tamale
He also said markets are to ensure social distancing and enhanced hygiene protocols.
“In any event, only persons involved in the food value chain can operate in the markets during this period”.
YEN.com.gh earlier reported that Prince Charles has recovered from the coronavirus after Clarence House announced he had tested positive on Thursday, March 26, 2020.
The Prince of Wales is now out of self-isolation, a spokesperson confirmed in a statement on Monday.
Coronavirus in Ghana: Disinfection of Accra Markets against COVID-19 | #Yencomgh
READ ALSO: Nana Addo sets up COVID-19 fund; pledges 3 months salary as seed money
Get interactive via our Facebook page.