Carlos Tevez pleads with fellow players to forfeit salaries to fight COVID-19

Carlos Tevez pleads with fellow players to forfeit salaries to fight COVID-19

- Carlos Tevez begs football stars to let go of their salaries to fight coronavirus

- The Argentine insisted that a player can live comfortably for about a year without his salary

- The former Man United and Man City star admitted that COVID-19 is a disaster and must be tackled

- Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in

Former Manchester United striker Carlos Tevez has pleaded with fellow football stars to forfeit their wages and salaries for the year to help fight coronavirus pandemic.

The deadly virus has killed over 49,000 people at the time of this report with a total of 966,935 cases recorded across the globe.

However, the lack of football action would make it difficult for club owners to pay their players and other staff their wages this time.

Some players have already accepted to take a pay cut in a bit to relieve their employers of too much burden during this compulsory holiday period.

READ ALSO: Jerome Boateng speaks out after crashing his Mercedes

The 36-year-old Argentine who plays for Boca Junior wants his colleague all over to act in a bid to help the less privileged.

"This coronavirus is a disaster," Tevez said on America TV in Argentina. "A footballer can live six months or a year without receiving [wages].

"We are not in the same despair as those who live with kids every day, who have to leave their house at six in the morning and return at seven in the evening to feed the family.

PAY ATTENTION: Read the best news on Ghana #1 news app. Install our latest app for Android and read the best news about Ghana

"We are not an example in this case; yes in other things. We have to be there and help. It is easy for me to speak from home, knowing that I have food for my children.

"But desperate people, who cannot move and cannot leave the house. That is worrying."

Both Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo have confirmed that their teammates are ready to take a pay cut in a bid to fight this plague.

The 32-year-old Argentine went further to donate about one million euros for the same reason having being subjected to a compulsory holiday since last month.

Just recently, Real Madrid confirmed they will be meeting their players to deliberate on the matter, while some other players have gone ahead to donate cash and materials in the process.

It was reported last month that Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola singlehandedly donated one million euros for the fight of the virus.

READ ALSO: Richard Kingston opens up about Asamoah Gyan's penalty miss against Uruguay at 2010 World Cup

The Mirror reports that Brighton manager Graham Potter became the second Premier League boss to take a voluntary pay cut, after Bournemouth's Eddie Howe on Wednesday.

Tottenham is said to have enforced a 20% pay cut on all non-playing staff members but have taken no action on their first-team stars.

Tevez has regularly been among the top earners at his numerous clubs over the years, but feels now is the time for others to be put first.

PAY ATTENTION: Become a member of the leading sports Facebook group 'Naija Football Fan' Read'

"The clubs have to get involved," he added. "Instead of going to train in the morning, they [should] demand that you do things for the people," he said.

"For example, go to the dining rooms in La Boca. I would be delighted to go. I know that my family is fine.

"That's where the great example begins. You can make videos, like me at home from my living room, but a great example would be that we all go out and help."

This brave man is risking his life to educate Ghanaians about the spread of Coronavirus | #Yencomgh

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Yen.com.gh

Mailfire view pixel