- A Ghanaian midwife identified as Cecilia Awinsongya, who is registered with the Ghana Health Service, has claimed that she was assaulted by an army personnel
- Cecilia Awinsongya claimed that she was on her way home after work when the military man assaulted her
- She shared images showing bruises on parts of her body along with her allegation on social media
- The post has erupted mixed reactions online
Our manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
A female Ghanaian midwife identified as Cecilia Awinsongya has claimed that she was assaulted by an army personnel on her way home after work amid the lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic.
According to details on Facebook, she is a registered midwife with the Ghana Health Service.
Cecilia Awinsongya’s recent claims add to a series of allegations by some residents in affected areas of the ongoing partial lockdown who have equally shared footages to back claims of assault.
On March 27, 2020, President Akufo-Addo imposed a partial lockdown in parts of the country as part of measures to stem the spread of the coronavirus.
It was earlier reported that some parts of Accra, Tema, Kasoa, Kumasi and its surrounding communities are observing a partial lockdown as a result of the president’s order.
This means people in the affected areas can only go out for essential services such as food, medicine, water, undertake banking transactions, or to use public toilet facilities.
The partial lockdown does not include hospitals especially when the services of health authorities and workers are crucially required to aid the preventive and treatment against the spread of the novel coronavirus.
In a recent post on Facebook, the Ghanaian midwife claimed that she was on her way home after work when a military man assaulted her
''Today am very sad i don’t know what was my fault, for being in uniform and still assaulted by a military man today when I closed from work. Did the president really told the military men to come to Kumasi to beat us including health workers who [are] working tirelessly day and night risking the lives to save the lives of people. Pls friends and family pls help me to share this pictures to reach the media houses n the various stakeholders to fight for our rights, I don’t think military men have to put the laws into their hands to abuse people like common criminals,'' Cecilia Awinsongya’s first posted.
Her post generated mixed reactions with many demanding for more evidence to back her claims.
Nana Kowas wrote under her second post: ''This lady is lyin oooooooooo.''
Janet Angmorteh responded saying: ''Lying for wat boss. She is my colleague midwife wae.''
Indeed most of the people who commented under her posts appeared to be more concerned about the image of the Ghana Armed Forces than the safety of the midwife.
Others demanded more evidence.
Kwaku Poku Darko wrote: ''Give full account of what happened and the exact location.''
In response, Cecilia Awinsongya posted another image along with the caption: ''People are saying that am not a nurse and they hv not seen my picture.So they are not convinced, am sad though but I think the 67yr old market women who was assaulted is enough for people to kw that this military men are really assaulting people. I think is high time us we Ghanaians to stop this unlawful n injustice.''
While some of these videos have been fact-checked and emerged as false, some also proved that some security officers from the combined military and police forces had taken the law into their own hands.
This adds to the series of reports by many who had claimed that they had been brutalised by either personnel from the Ghana Armed Forces or the Ghana Police Service.
Cecilia Awinsongya's claim can be verified because she a registered nurse with the Ghana Health Service.
Meanwhile, it was reported that Ghana's coronavirus confirmed cases have shot up to 204.
The Ghana Health Service said the nine additional cases were all recorded in Accra Ghana's case previously stood at 195.
In other news, Ghana’s First Lady, Rebecca Akufo-Addo, has personally received 5000 boxes of food items on behalf of the Rebecca Foundation to donate to the poor and needy.
The Rebecca Foundation launched the Relief Boxes Challenge on April 2, 2020, to support the national effort of the preventive and treatment measures instituted by the government against the spread of the COVID-19.
One on one with the young Ghanaian genius Angela Tabiri who has a Ph.D. in Mathematics | #Yencomgh
Have national and human interest issues to discuss?
Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.