COVID-19: 406 stubborn Ghanaians to be punished for disobeying lockdown directives

COVID-19: 406 stubborn Ghanaians to be punished for disobeying lockdown directives

- 406 persons are currently being processed to face the law after disobeying lockdown directives

- The Accra Regional Police Command, ACP Lydia Donkor, said the move has become necessary to ensure that others do not do same

- ACP Donkor said even though some people have adhered to the directive by the president, some others have also made it a point to go against the president's words

Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in

Information reaching YEN.com.gh has revealed that some 406 persons are currently being processed to face the law after disobeying directives on restriction of movement enforced by Akufo-Addo.

Briefing the press on Tuesday, April 14, 2020, Head of Prosecutions at the Accra Regional Police Command, ACP Lydia Donkor, said the move has become necessary to ensure that others do not do same.

ACP Donkor said even though some people have adhered to the directive by the president, some others have also made it a point to go against the president's words.

READ ALSO: Minister advises Ghanaians to reduce internet use and find other sources of entertainment

“People have largely complied with the directive of his Excellency the President. There are a good number of people who are still recalcitrant.

“So far around the country, 406 persons have been arrested. 103 are in custody, 248 have been granted bail, and 41 have been processed for court,” she said.

ACP Donkor breaking down the deaths said the Greater Accra region topped the list with a total of 161 cases while the Oti Region, Bono East, Ahafo, and Savannah regions have no cases.

ACP Donkor further noted that the culpable persons are going to be dealt with as per sanctions contained in the Imposition of Restrictions Act. In some cases, sanctions may involve fines and in others, imprisonment within a given term.

Meanwhile, Ghana’s cases remain at 636 as confirmed by the Ghana Health Service as of April 14, 2020, with 17 recoveries and 10 deaths.

READ ALSO: Ghana has recorded 636 confirmed cases of COVID-19

In other news, the Minister of Communications, Ursula Owusu-Ekuful, has called on Ghanaians to limit the use of the internet during the lockdown period.

According to her, it would be preferable if other sources of entertainment are found and utilised.

Speaking at a press briefing organised by the Ministry of Information, she explained that the quality of network services has been generally affected because there has been a spike in internet use.

READ ALSO: TOR boss fingered in foreign bribery scandal

Nana Addo shouldn't share the food to the kayayo's only - Market women cry out | #Yencomgh

Subscribe to watch new videos

Use the comments section below to share your views on this story. Do you have a story to share or you have information for us? Get featured on YEN.com.gh. Message us on Facebook.

Source: Yen

Online view pixel