- The director of a maximum-security laboratory in Wuhan has rubbished claims the virus originated from the lab
- He said that it was impossible and any reports that it had were mere speculation
- China has come under fire for how transparent it has been on reporting the outbreak
- Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes
Yuan Zhiming, director of a maximum-security laboratory in Wuhan, the Chinese city which was ground zero from the outbreak of the coronavirus, has denied that the virus originated from the lab.
China is being pressured into revealing more information about the pandemic and how it handled the outbreak, with many questioning the accuracy of their statistics.
YEN.com.gh learned that some people have accuses the Chinese of manufacturing the virus in the maximum-security lab. The lab is equipped to deal with dangerous viruses, fueling rumours that the lab had created the virus which had then escaped.
READ ALSO: Generous supermarket owner gives food parcels away to less fortunate
Yuan denied this:
“There’s no way this virus came from us,” he told the English-language state broadcaster CGTN.
“The(sic) whole institute is carrying out research in different areas related to the coronavirus”.
As early as February, the institute denied that the virus originated from their lab.
However, the United States of America has said that it would be launching an investigation into how the virus “got out into the world”.
Pressed on whether it was possible that the virus came from the lab, Yuan said:
“I know it’s impossible.”
“As people who carry out viral studies we clearly know what kind of research is going on at the institute and how the institute manages viruses and samples,” he said.
He said that the anonymous sources quoted by the Washington Post and Fox News saying that the virus accidentally escaped the facility were "entirely based on speculation."
Authorities had initially tried to cover up news about the outbreak and inconsistencies in numbers being reported had fueled speculation about the origin of the virus.
YEN.com.gh had earlier reported that China had released a new death toll, 50% higher than before.
READ ALSO: Think-tank raises alarm over bills, Ghanaians abroad send less money home and more news
Health authorities in China's Wuhan city have revised the death toll from the coronavirus pandemic upwards by over 50%.
Wuhan’s Epidemic Prevention and Control Center said on Friday, 17 April that 3 869 people had died from the disease in the city as of Thursday, 16 April.
Low-cost ventilators produced in Ghana by Prof. Fred McBagonluri | #Yencomgh
READ ALSO: COVID-19 updates in Ghana as of Saturday, April 19, 2020
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.