- Health professionals are unhappy with Akufo-Addo's decision to lift the partial lockdown
- Professor Badu Akosa says President Akufo-Addo should have extended the lockdown to all parts of the country
- Ghana has recorded 1,042 cases so far
- Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
Professor Agyeman Badu Akosa has expressed his disappointment in President Akufo-Addo’s decision to lift the lockdown in parts of the country.
According to the former Director-General of Ghana Health Service, the president should have instead, extended the lockdown to all parts of the country.
He opined in a discussion on Citi TV Monday, April 20, 2020, that he and his colleagues in the health sector expected the president to at least extend the lockdown to the end of April to protect the lives of Ghanaians.
READ ALSO: JUST IN: U.S. crude oil prices plunge to $0 per barrel
The respected medical practitioner also said the government’s decision to lift the lockdown has been defeated because of the inadequate testing centers and upsurge in COVID-19 cases in Ghana.
“I expected probably two weeks to the end of April and I expected that at least all regional capitals should have been locked down as well,” he told the host of the show monitored by YEN.com.gh.
But Deputy Health Minister, Dr. Bernard Okoe Boye who also spoke on the program defended the government’s decision to lift the lockdown.
Meanwhile, a U.S.-based Ghanaian Specialist in infectious diseases Dr. Bertha Serwaa Ayi, has also expressed anxiety about the decision by government.
Speaking on Joy News, Dr. Serwaa Ayi also noted that the lift of the lockdown in Greater Accra, Greater Kumasi and Kasoa may be dangerous.
“I wouldn’t say [the decision to lift the lockdown] is good or bad but I will just say I felt nervous based on what I know about the trajectory of this disease.”
READ ALSO: Ayawaso West Wuogon: MP Lydia Alhassan donates to churches in constituency
She cited examples of how countries like the US, China, and Europe saw a spike in numbers of COVID-19 cases.
President Nana Akufo-Addo on Sunday, April 19, 2020, during his 7th address to the nation, announced that he has lifted the partial ban on movement of people in Accra, Kumasi, Tema, and Kasoa.
But the president’s decision received mixed reactions from Ghanaians with many expressing disappointment, saying the lifting of the lockdown was too early.
Ghana has recorded 1,042 positive cases of the disease with nine deaths and 99 recoveries.
YEN.com.gh earlier reported that Ghana's information minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, has said that the sharing of free food has stopped as the president has lifted the partial lockdown in the affected areas.
President of Ghana lifts partial lockdown of Accra and Kumasi | #Yencomgh
READ ALSO: COVID-19: China angrily reacts after Germany sends GHC929 trillion bill for damages
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.