The University of Mines and Technology (UMaT), is a centre of excellence in not only Ghana but entire Africa. The institution is known to produce world-class engineers and professionals in mining, technology, petroleum, and other related fields. UMaT was officially commissioned in 1962 to train mining technicians and other low-level manpower. Since then, UMaT admission has, by far, grown. Today, the institution admits scholars in various diplomas, degrees, and even postgraduate courses.
UMaT courses are crafted to ensure effective learning and teaching. This promotes knowledge through the dissemination of information and active research. Below is what you need to know about UMaT postgraduate admission list, fees, dates, forms, requirements, and application procedure.
UMaT admission requirements
The following are the requirements for certificate, diploma, degree and postgraduates courses:
Certificate programmes requirements
Certificate in Small-Scale Mine and Quarry Administration is offered under this category. You should meet the following minimum requirements:
- SSS applicant should have passed in all subjects
- WASS certificate holders need five passes out of all the disciplines
- If you have a GCE Ordinary or Advanced Level Certificate, you require five passes in all the subjects including English, Science, and Mathematics
Diploma programmes requirements
You should meet the following before applying:
- SSCE holders need six passes in all the subjects
- For WASSCE, you should have passed in English, Mathematics and Integrated Science. A minimum of C6 is required for other elective disciplines
- GCE Ordinary Level applicants should have credits in English, Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry. Advanced Level students need passes in Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics
- Certificate holders should have experience in relevant areas of study
READ ALSO: Top 10 universities in Ghana 2019/2020
Degree programmes requirements
You need to have the following minimum qualification to be admitted:
Faculty of Mineral Resources Technology
- A credit in core subjects such as English Language, Integrated Science, and Mathematics
- A credit in Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, and Geography
- Geomatics Engineering candidates can substitute Chemistry for Geography
- At least a Credit in English Language, Integrated Science, and Mathematics
- You should also have credits in Physics and Chemistry or Technical Drawing or Metal Work
Electrical and Electronic/Renewable Energy/Computer Science engineering
- Credits in English, Mathematics and Integrated Science
- Credits in Physics plus Chemistry or Applied Electricity or Electronics or ICT or Computer Studies
- Computer Science students can substitute Chemistry for Computer Studies or ICT
You need credits in:
- English Language
- Integrated Science
In addition to the above, mature undergraduate applicants should be not less than 25 years old. They must also have an SSSC/WASSC or GCE O’ level credentials and a birth certificate issued at least five years ago. If you fall under the category, you will have to pass a written exam or an interview.
International students with equivalent qualifications will also be admitted to the institutions.
READ ALSO: Public universities in Ghana 2020/2021
For the Master of Science and MPhil programs, you should have the following:
- A bachelor’s degree in the same field or any other related discipline from a recognised institution
- At least a First Class or Second-Class Upper Division aggregate
- UMaT diploma holders in related fields and have five years of experience are also considered.
- You should pass an admission interview
PhD students need a Master’s degree or any other equivalent qualifications from a recognised institution. If you fall under this category, you also need to submit evidence that you have undergone adequate training and you can undertake the programme in question.
If you do not have a Master’s degree, then you will need to first register for a Master of Research programme. If you prove that you have sufficient calibre at the end of the first year, you might be recommended for a PhD degree.
UMaT application procedure for foreign students
Use the procedure below:
- Connect to the internet: Make sure it is reliable to avoid downtimes. The faster your internet speed is, the quicker you will complete the process.
- Open your browser: Double-tap on its icon or use the right-click menu to launch it.
- Go to the UMaT admission portal: Key in UMaT address and press the Enter button.
- Tap UNDERGRADUATE-INT’L or POSTGRADUATE-INT’L: If you are applying for a degree, diploma, or certificate, use the former option. Masters and PhD applicants should use the latter.
- Enter your surname and other names: Make sure they are spelt well as they will form the basis of your application.
- Provide a valid email and phone number: Remember that you are an international student. Do not forget to write your mobile phone details with your country code prefix.
- Tap on the “Request Login Details” button: This is a green button just below the last text box.
8. Visit the link on the text message: Copy it on your browser’s search tab and press the Enter button.
9. Login to the portal: Use the Serial Number and PIN you received on your gadget.
10. Pay for the application forms: You can use your credit card or PayPal account to purchase them.
11. Fill in your details: You will be required to provide your name, country of origin, date of birth, residence, employment status, and educational background. Uncompleted details will not be considered.
12. Submit your education certificates: Send your scanned certificates to email@example.com in a PDF format. The documents will act as proof that the information you entered was correct.
READ ALSO: Public universities in Ghana 2020/2021
Application procedure for citizens
Follow the steps below:
- Purchase an e-Voucher: Keep the details in the voucher safe as you will use it later to access your UMaT admission letter or to check the status of your application.
- Go to the UMaT portal: Connect to the internet, open your browser, and enter UMaT address on the search tab and press Enter button.
- Provide your login details: Obtain the information from your e-Voucher.
- Fill in your personal information: This will include your surname, date of birth, and residence.
- Provide your education and other details: Type in all the institutions you once enrolled in together with the respective qualifications you earned. You might also be prompted to enter your parents’ information.
- Check for mistakes and errors: Before you press the Submit button, carefully go through all the details you have provided.
- Print the documents: Save them to your local disk, copy them to a flash disk and print a hardcopy from the nearest cybercafé. Photocopy your bank pay-in-slip
- Submit the forms: Attach all the relevant supporting documents including bank pay-in-slip and send them to the register.
All the forms should be submitted by August this year. If you send more than one set of forms, you will be disqualified on the spot. Also, if you have incomplete documents, the same will apply.
If you did your WASSCE exams in 2019, update your application details before 31st July upon receiving your results.
UMaT admission list
Applicants are selected from all races, nationalities, and ethnic persuasion regardless of their religion, culture, and social norms. Also, there is no minimum age for enrolment provided that you have attained all the minimum requirements.
Hence, the selection process is fair and majors most on your academic qualification. If you are admitted to the institution, you can check the admission list or your status using the following steps:
- Go to the admissions portal.
- Navigate to the enrolment list: You will be able to see the link to this webpage once the website is fully loaded.
- Check your admission status: Use the search function on the website to filter results.
4. Don’t forget to check the “Important Admission Notice” section if you have been selected.
Here is the admission fee, residential facility charges and first-year fees structure:
UMaT admission fees
UMaT admission forms for Ghanaian applicants cost the following amount:
- Bachelor of Science Programmes: GHC. 200.00
- Diploma: GHC. 175.00
- Certificate: GHC. 150.00
The cost of admission forms for international applicants is:
- $100.00 for BSc. courses
- $85.00 for diploma
- $75.00 for certificate
Ghanaian students should purchase enrolment e-vouchers in the following financial institutions:
- Cal Bank
- Post Offices
- GCB Bank
- Fidelity Bank
- Zenith Bank
- Access Bank
UMaT fees structure
You will pay the following amount in your first year of education:
- BSc. Geomatics Engineering - GHC 1,575.01
- BSc. Geological Engineering - GHC 1,554.84
- BSc. Mining Engineering - GHC. 1,555.01
- BSc. Mineral Engineering - GHC. 1,580.01
- Environmental and Safety Engineering - GHC. 1,555.01
- Faculty of Engineering courses - GHC. 1,555.01
- Faculty of Mineral Resources and Technology programmes - GHC. 7,970.57
- UMaT General Drilling fees - GHC. 7,952.57
International MSc, MPhil, and PhD students - GHC. 7,579.83 plus a non-refundable $500 per module
UMaT residential facility charges
If you wish to reside inside the university, you will pay the following amounts for various UMaT halls:
- Chamber of Mines Hall - GHC. 870.00
- Gold Refinery Hall - GHC -782.00
KT Hall has various rooms which are charged as follows:
- 4 in a Room Detached - GHC. 1,200
- 3 in a Room Semi-detached - GHC. 1,450
- 2 in a Room Semi-detached - GHC. 1,650
- 2 in a Room Detached - GHC. 1,850
An additional GHC. 100 is payable by all first-year students to cater for power maintenance in the halls.
READ ALSO: IPMC courses and their fees in Ghana 2020
UMaT reopening date
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the university was closed to avoid a possible infection spike. Nonetheless, a decision was arrived at after consultation with teachers’ union for final year students to report back.
UMaT finalist will report back to the institution on 15th June. For further updates on when the university will open its doors for other continuing and new students, like their Facebook page or follow TV and radio broadcasts.
For any queries, reach out to the school via the contacts below:
- Physical location: Tarkwa, Western Region of Ghana.
- Postal address: P. O. Box 237, Tarkwa. Ghana
- Undergraduate call: +233 3123 20323
- Postgraduate call: +233 3123 20935
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The procedure to apply for UMaT admission is that simple. Make sure you fill in the form completely and send only one batch to avoid disqualification.