Smartphones can accomplish lots of tasks for the average user. You can make calls, text, stream videos, and engage in video chat, among other things. One innovation that has been advancing in recent times is mirroring. Mirroring or casting a smartphone on a TV is a unique feature that has gotten the attention of many users. It allows you to mirror the content on your phone to your TV. In other words, it is now possible to view phone content on a TV. But do you know how to connect your phone to TV?
While people love the idea of streaming or watching videos from their smartphones, it is sometimes more comfortable to watch it from a bigger screen. That is why many users welcome the idea of connecting their smartphones to their TV. But the technology behind screen mirroring has been changing dramatically. Today, the best method for connecting your phone to your Smart TV will depend on the model, manufacturer, and age of your tablet, TV, or smartphone.
How to connect your phone to TV using a USB cable
There are several ways of connecting your phone to TV using the USB cable. That will depend on the type of phone or are using and the type of USB cable you choose. For most devices, you can use:
1. Mirror your phone using a USB cable with a SlimPort transmitter
SlimPort is one of the latest technologies that allow users to send signals, both visual and audio, from their smartphones to their TVs. In this case, you will use a wired connection to complete the mirroring.
To use this technology, you will need your phone, SlimPort cable or adapter, a TV, and an HDMI cable. Next, follow the steps below:
- Plug the adapter or cable to your phone
- Bind the adapter to your TV using the right cable
- You can also link your phone to your Smart TV by plugging one end of the correct HDMI cable to the SlimPort transmitter. Ensure to do so to the other end on your TV
- On your TV, change the input source
The advantage of this cable is that it is plug-and-play. Once you complete the connection, you should be able to see your device’s screen on the telly.
2. Connecting your smartphone to a TV with USB using MHL adapter
If you do not have the SlimPort adapter, you can still connect phone to TV with USB using a USB-to-MHL adapter. The method will only work if the smartphone or TV is compatible with the cable.
For this method, you will need an HDMI cable, smartphone, TV that supports HDMI connection, and USB-to-MHL adapter. Here is what to do:
- Insert the cable to the smartphone’s USB port.
- Since some adapters are chargeable, plug it into a power source, where necessary.
- Plug the HDMI cable into the MHL adapter and to the TV to complete the connection.
Note that some adapters on the market are only compatible with specific phones. Confirm compatibility before purchasing one.
3. Connecting your Android phone using USB Type-C to HDMI TV
Perhaps the easiest method of connecting Android to HDMI is by using the USB Type-C. The latest Android smartphones have a USB Type-C port that replaced the micro-USB. Its primary functions are data transfer and phone charging. You can, therefore, use it to mirror your phone and watch football and other TV shows from your apps. To use it:
- Plug the USB Type-C cable to your Android phone.
- Complete the connection by linking it to an HDMI adapter.
Understand that you will need a USB-C to HDMI adaptor for this to work.
How to connect an iPhone with Apple TV
For iPhone users who have Apple TV, you can also connect the device to your Smart TV using the following steps:
- Connect your iPhone and Apple TV to the same wireless network.
- Swipe your iPhone’s screen to open the Control Centre.
- Select Screen Mirroring from the Control Centre.
- Tap on Airplay-compatible or Apple TV.
- If Airplay is available, enter its name on your iPhone.
- Select your screen orientation, either horizontal or vertical, by turning your device.
- Your Apple TV will adapt to the display automatically.
The steps above will allow you to connect phone to TV and enjoy watching your favourite content. You can also use them to connect the iPod Touch and iPad. Remember that you must be using a legit iPhone in order to have the AirPlay functionality.
Cast your Android phone to your Smart TV
Casting is one of the best methods that allow you to stream from phone to TV through a wireless network. If you have an Android device, OS 5.0 or higher, you can connect it to your TV by using the same Wi-Fi network to stream videos.
For this method to work, you will need a device such as the Google Chromecast or a Roku streaming device, Google Home app, and a TV with in-built Chromecast. In this case, consider using Chromecast and follow the steps below:
- Download and install the Google Home app from the Play Store.
- Make sure your Android tablet or mobile phone is on the same network as the Chromecast device.
- Open the app and select your TV with in-built Chromecast or the device to which you want to cast your screen.
- Tap on Cast my Screen.
If your device is not optimised, a prompt will appear on your screen to remind you that you cannot cast your mobile phone. That means you will be unable to stream phone to TV.
READ ALSO: List of all the live TV stations in Ghana
Depending on your Android phone, there is also another easier option of connecting it to your TV.
- Connect your phone and Chromecast to the same network.
- On your Android device, swipe down to open up the Quick Settings panel.
- Select Screen Cast once you locate it.
- You will see a list of Chromecast devices on the network.
- Select the immediate device connected to your Smart TV.
Once you make the selection, the screen on your phone will display on your Smart TV.
Use Wi-Fi Direct to connect a phone to Smart TV
Another simple method you can use to connect phone to Smart TV is by using Wi-Fi Direct. Wi-Fi Direct is a standard that makes communication possible without a wireless access point. That means you can use it to stream content from your phone to your TV. Here is how to use it on Android devices.
- Enable Wi-Fi Direct on your Smart TV.
- For some TVs, this may involve going to Settings – Network – Wi-Fi Direct or Settings – Connections – Wi-Fi – Wi-Fi Direct.
- Go to Settings on your phone.
- Tap on Wi-Fi.
- Tap on the three horizontal dots to open up a menu.
- Select Advanced.
- Tap on Wi-Fi Direct.
- The name of your TV should appear on the screen.
- Tap on the TV.
- On the pop-up window, select Accept.
READ ALSO: A step-by-step guide on how to set up a VPN
The steps should allow you to connect cellphone to TV and start streaming videos. Understand that both your Smart TV and Android device must have Wi-Fi Direct for this method to work.
It is possible to connect your smartphone to your TV and stream any videos you want. But you must first know how to connect your phone to TV because many methods exist. Some of the ways you can achieve this include using a USB Type-C cable, Wi-Fi Direct, casting with Chromecast, or Airplay on iOS and Apple TV devices.