- SHS students infected with COVID-19 brought it from their homes, according to NPP's national youth orgniser
- According to Nana B, parents cannot blame government for the infection of their wards
- The NPP man has also recently been criticised for visiting campuses to rally students to go and register for their voter ID cards
Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes
Senior high school (SHS) students infected with COVID-19 “brought the virus from home” and did not contract it on campus, national youth organiser of the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP) claims.
“It is important to note that the students who have tested positive for COVID-19 did not even contract the virus on their respective campuses, this is another strong point, that all of these cases, they brought it from their various homes,” Henry Nana Boakye, popularly known as Nana B, said at a party event in Kumasi on Tuesday, 14 July 2020.
He has come under fire for visiting some of the students at their various campuses to urge them to register for the voter’s ID cards, contrary to a ‘no visit’ directive by the Akufo-Addo administration.
READ ALSO: One JHS school in Oti Region records coronavirus - GHS
Over 50 students have been infected with the contagion throughout Ghana as the COVID-19 cases rise.
55 out of 314 test samples taken from students and teachers of Accra Girls’ Senior High School have returned positive for COVID-19, a statement by education and health authorities confirmed.
Accra Girls’ Senior High School is among the list of schools that have recorded cases of the virus two weeks after the government reopened schools for final year students after spending close to three months at home following the outbreak of the virus.
There was growing tension in the school amid calls for pre-tertiary institutions to shut down. The opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) has also joined calls for schools to be closed down to prevent any further outbreak of the virus in schools.
READ ALSO: Fact check: WHO has not confirmed COVID-19 to be airborne
The COVID-19 technical team for the NDC wants the government to reverse its decision to open schools for final year students as the cases rise.
It said the government must immediately shut down the schools to protect the students.
YEN.com.gh earlier reported that Dr. Badu Sarkodie, director of public health of the Ghana Health Service, has revealed that only one person has tested positive of COVID-19 so far in a junior high school in the Oti Region.
The revelation was made at a press conference in Accra on Tuesday, 14 July 2020.
“The only reported junior high school with a case is in the Oti Region." he disclosed.
Senior Minister, Osafo-Maafo, tests positive for COVID-19 | #Yencomgh
Got a national or human interest story you think we should know?
Get interactive via our Facebook page.
Source: Yen News