- Oti Region has recorded a case of the COVID-19 in a Junior High School
- The Ghana Health Service revealed at a presser in Accra on Tuesday, July 14
- The Director of Public Health for the Ghana Health Service, Dr. Badu Sarkodie did not give any further details about the said case
- Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes
Dr. Badu Sarkodie, director of public health of the Ghana Health Service, has revealed that only one person has tested positive of COVID-19 so far in a Junior High School(JHS) in the Oti Region.
The revelation was made at a press conference in Accra on Tuesday, July 14, 2020.
“The only reported JHS with a case is in the Oti Region,” he disclosed.
READ ALSO: COVID-19: Ghana’s case count is 25,252
On his part, the Director-General of the Ghana Education Service, Prof Kwasi Opoku-Amankwa, says the calls for the closure of schools because of COVID-19 is very misplaced.
"It is best we keep them in schools because if we decide to let them go home, then we might as well close down the whole country”.
“From what we have been told, they are asymptomatic, so, they are able to go about their studies," he added.
Prof. Opoku-Amankwa further stated that sending the SHS students home will be disastrous.
Prior to the press conference, a joint statement from the GES and the Ghana Health Service had said Accra Girls’ Senior High School has recorded the most cases of COVID-19 among Senior High Schools from the first report to date.
Meanwhile, YEN.com.gh earlier reported that the Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) has recorded 39 positive cases of the COVID-19 virus.
The FDA conducted mass testing of its 450 staff, including the Chief Executive Officer.
Out of the total of 450 samples collected from the FDA, 39 of the samples returned positive.
Ghanaians express fear over final year students in school | #Yencomgh
Got a national or human interest story you think we should know? Get interactive via our Facebook page.