Arthur Melo not ready to return to Barcelona camp before joining Juventus this summer

Arthur Melo not ready to return to Barcelona camp before joining Juventus this summer

- Arthur Melo has refused to rejoin Barcelona teammates for the remainder of the season

- The 23-year-old traveled to Brazil after his coach granted the players break

- Arthur will move to Juventus once this season wraps up in a matter of weeks with Pjanic joining Barca in a swap deal

Barcelona may have to play the rest of the season without Arthur Melo after his refusal to return to Camp Nou from his home country.

The Brazilian midfielder has already completed a move to Juventus this summer with Miralem Pjanic moving the other way in a swap deal.

Juve only added a sum of €10 million in bonuses to the deal that saw the 23-year-old join the Italian League champions.

According to Goal.com, the midfielder has informed the Catalan club he will no longer play for them.

Having lost the Spanish League title to rivals Real Madrid, coach Quique Setien was said to have afforded his players some time off and the attacker returned to his home country to rest.

Arthur Melo not ready to return to Barcelona camp before joining Juventus this summer

Arthur Melo in training at Barcelona earlier this season - Getty Images
Source: Getty Images

Report claim he was expected back at the club for Covid-19 this week ahead of preparations for the second leg of the last-16 tie against Napoli on August 8.

But he has notified the club that he will not return and the club has informed him he will be breaching the codes of his contract which is expected to attract fines and sanction.

The Brazilian joined Barca from Gremio in a €40 million (£35m/$47m) deal in 2018 - making 72 appearances across competitions.

It would be recalled that Arthur said he would give his best for the Catalans in the remainder of the season after learning they reached an agreement Juventus.

I know I'm going to belong to a big club; many challenges await us before we can be together with the Bianconeri,” he posted on social media.

"Now I'm focused on the present, we have important goals in Barcelona and I will continue to the end giving everything, for my team-mates and all the fans.”

Arthur's absence could give Setien selection headache with Sergio Busquets and Arturo Vidal ready to miss Napoli clash due to suspension.

YEN.com.gh earlier reported that Four-time Africa's women footballer of the year Asisat Oshoala was on target twice for FC Barcelona women in their internal training match.

The Nigerian star opened scoring for the Spanish women's league champions in the opening half after making a brilliant run into the opposition's 18-yard and placing the ball into the bottom right corner of the post.

She doubled her tally in the game with another superb move and dribbled the keeper before sending the ball right back into the back of the net.

Source: Yen

Mailfire view pixel