- The NDC says it will prosecute all culprits in the PDS scam deal
- According to the NDC's Sammy Gyamfi, the next John Mahama government will not spare anyone who was complicit in the corrupt PDS deal
- The government of Ghana had to cancel an agreement signed with PDS following some breaches in contract
Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
The opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) has raised some questions about the “stinking” PDS scandal that hit Ghana in march 2019.
At a press conference held in Accra on Monday, August 10, 2020, the National Communication Officer of the NDC, Sammy Gyamfi, said the next NDC/John Mahama government will bring to book all persons involved in the PDS scandal.
Gyamfi assured the Ghanaian public that the NDC government will arrest and prosecute persons involved in the alleged scam that happened in the PDS agreement.
“Ghanaians can be rest assured, that under the ‘Operation Sting’ crusade, the next NDC/Mahama government shall ensure that all monies (over GHc1.5 billion) collected by PDS from electricity consumers are properly accounted for, and ensure the retrieval of any amounts misappropriated by the company, their promoters, and accomplices for the State,” Sammy Gyamfi noted.
PDS took over the management and distribution of electricity in Ghana from March 2019, but the agreement between the government of Ghana and PDS was suspended abruptly after some breaches were realised.
In a statement in July 2019, Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, said the agreement was put on hold due to “the detection of fundamental and material breaches of PDS obligations”.
But the NDC stated that despite the admission of fraud and corruption in the PDS deal, the New Patriotic Party (NPP) government has failed to prosecute anybody.
The NDC is alleging the perpetrators of the PDS scam are still freely walking the streets of Ghana.
Gyamfi has thus asked four critical questions on this PDS scandal.
The questions are as follows:
1. Who are the state actors who neglected to perform their fiduciary responsibility to the state by failing to conduct the necessary due diligence on the Insurance Guarantee presented by PDS, and what action has President Akufo-Addo taken against them?
2. Can the Akufo-Addo government tell Ghanaians the total amount of monies PDS collected from electricity consumers in the form of electricity bills from March 1, 2019, to October 18, 2019, when the concession agreement was still in force?
3. Have those monies been accounted for, and if yes, have they been audited?
4. If PDS has accounted for those funds collected and they have been audited, can President Akufo-Addo publish those accounts for the benefit of the media who are the fourth estate of the realm and the entire Ghanaian people?
YEN.com.gh earlier reported that the 2020 Campaign team of John Mahama has urged Ghanaians to ignore the “comical” efforts by Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia to “divert” attention from the important things that matter to Ghanaians.
This was said in his recent post on social media in which he cited 50 reasons to back his claim that President Nana Akufo-Addo has been a better President than John Mahama.
A statement issued by the Mahama campaign team signed by spokesperson James Agyenim-Boateng, on Thursday, 30 July 2020, said:
“This deliberate and comical attempt by Dr Bawumia to divert attention is as a result of the immense pressure he has come under after paling into insignificance following the selection of Prof Naana Jane Opoku-Agyemang as running mate to Mr. John Mahama in the December 2020 elections."
"John Mahama can create 1 million jobs in 8 years" - Sam George:
Have national and human interest issues to discuss? Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.