Kuami Eugene was adjudged the Artiste of the Year at the just-ended Vodafone Ghana Music Awards and his win has been met with various remarks from a section of the public.
Our manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
Install our latest app for Android and read the best news about Ghana
The 2020 Vodafone Ghana Music Awards (VGMA) ended with Rockstar Kuami Eugene being announced as the Artiste of the Year.
So far in the history of Ghana music, Kuami Eugene is the youngest musician alive to win the topmost award of the VGMA.
Youngest alive because the first youngest person to have won that award is the late Ebony Reigns, who won it posthumously in 2018.
Kuami Eugene’s award, as expected, has been greeted with mixed reactions from the public.
Some people have praised him, while others have said that he did not deserve the award.
YEN.com.gh has gathered five matters arising from Kuami Eugene’s victory for the reading pleasure of cherished readers.
1. Guru: The Lapaz Toyota hitmaker has said publicly that Kuami Eugene does not deserve that award.
He tipped Sarkodie and Kofi Kinaata as the suitable persons to have won. Guru maintained that gospel musician Diana Hamilton is even a better option.
2. Maame Serwaa: The young Kumawood actress is also not happy with Kuami Eugene’s win. She tweeted after the awards ceremony that Ghanaians should no longer take the VGMA seriously. Maame Serwaa expected Sarkodie to win, indicating that Kuami Eugene did not deserve the award at all.
3. Section of the public: Some in the public have also said Kuami Eugene did not deserve to win the Artiste of the Year.
One such person is Dan Lartey who betted with his hair over Sarkodie. Lartey promised that he was going to shave off his head and long beard if Sarkodie should lose the award, and he did just so.
He maintained in a programme on TV3 that he was very sure Sarkodie was going to win because Kuami Eugene did not deserve it.
4. He is arrogant: Some people have also called Kuami Eugene an arrogant person saying that his win was going to worsen matters.
5. Not worked hard enough: Others claimed Kuami Eugene has not worked hard enough to deserve that award.
However, the young musician has disputed that claim saying that he released two major songs – Obiato, and Ohemaa, under the year under review. He described those songs as “songs that were all over Africa."
6. Sarkodie and Diana Hamilton: Kuami Eugene has expressed sadness over the fact that his competitors in that category, Sarkodie, and Diana Hamilton, had not congratulated him as on Tuesday, September 1, 2020.
He said the only one who has congratulated him so far was Kofi Kinaata, who was also a competitor. Others are Medikal, and Keche, who had all congratulated the Rockstar.
Meanwhile, Kuami Eugene has replied to Guru’s opinion that he did not deserve the award.
The musician underscored the fact that people are opinionated and he is not bothered about anyone’s view about his award.
Have national and human interest issues to discuss?
Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.