Cameroun legend and former Barcelona and Chelsea star Samuel Eto’o is using his fame to talk about what "everyone stops talking about”; Boko Haram as he calls for international support to tackle it.
In an interview with CNN on Thursday, he lamented the lack of attention from other world leaders against the terrorism in Africa.
The four times African Footballer of the Year winner, while unveiling his charity, Yellow Whistleblower FC, said he would raise $50m to deal with the Boko Haram insurgency in Nigeria, which has spilled into neighbouring countries such as Cameroon, Niger and Chad.
Eto’o said that he felt that education is the key to curb such atrocities especially in cases where kids are being manipulated to get involved in it.
Speaking on racism against African footballers, Eto’o said that:
The soccer star's foundation has already raised more than $75,000 to help displaced victims of Boko Haram terrorism.
The Boko Haram attacked an infirmary and a market last month in northern Cameroon killing around 30 people and injuring 145.
According to a military official, Col. Didier Badjeck, a spokesman for Cameroon's military, the attackers "came in from across the hills in Nigeria" to launch the attacks on the town of Kerawa.