Chibok blasts leaves 13 people dead

Chibok blasts leaves 13 people dead

At least 13 people are reported dead after suicide bombers hit the north-eastern Nigerian town of Chibok during a market day.

Witnesses say more than 30 people were injured and at least three attackers were involved, some of which include women. It is not yet known who was behind the attack but suspicion is likely to fall on militants from the Boko Haram Islamist group, who abducted more than 200 schoolgirls from Chibok in 2014.

A town elder warned that the death toll could rise.

Ayuba Chibok told the AFP news agency that "The situation is now tense and there's so much confusion. It will take some time before we can be able to have a clearer picture of the casualties,"

One of the attackers struck at a security checkpoint, while another managed to reach the busy market. A third was identified by residents before detonating explosives close to the market, the reports said.

On Monday at least 25 people were reported to have  died in suicide bombings in the northern Cameroonian town of Bodo. Earlier this month, Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari ordered a new investigation into the kidnapping of more than 200 schoolgirls from Chibok by Boko Haram.

The militants stormed a boarding school, abducting the girls from their dormitories. Although the Nigerian military has freed hundreds of people held by Boko Haram in recent months, they did not include any of the Chibok girls.

Boko Haram was founded in 2002, initially focused on opposing Western-style education - Boko Haram means "Western education is forbidden" in the Hausa language

After It launched its military operations in 2009, it has killed thousands, mostly in north-eastern Nigeria, abducted hundreds, including at least 200 schoolgirls. Boko Haram joined so-called Islamic State, now calls itself IS's "West African province".

 

Related news

Here are 10 of the most STRESSFUL jobs

Here are 10 of the most STRESSFUL jobs

Here are 10 of the most STRESSFUL jobs