The FIFA appeals committee upholds ban for Blatter and Platini

The FIFA appeals committee upholds ban for Blatter and Platini

- Fifa appeals committe upholds ban on blatter and Platini

- Their  suspension  has been reduced from 8 to six years

- bans on all football-related activities has been upheld

The FIFA appeals committee upholds ban for Blatter and Platini

Platini and Sepp Blatter

The FIFA appeals committee has reduced the suspension outgoing Fifa president Sepp Blatter and suspended Uefa boss Michel Platini from eight to six years.

The two bosses also had bans preventing them from all football-related activities being upheld.

Both  ex-football bosses were found guilty of breaches surrounding a £1.3m ($2m) "disloyal payment" to Platini but they have both deny any wrongdoing and have said they will appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Blatter and Platini said the payment honoured a verbal or gentleman's agreement made in 1998 for work carried out by the Frenchman when he was a technical advisor for Blatter.

In a statement, the 79 years old ex-Fifa Boss said  that he was "very disappointed by the appeal committee of Fifa". Platini on the other hand said it was "insulting and shameful" and a "political decision".

The committee said "activities and services rendered to Fifa, Uefa and football" was a mitigating factor. Fifa's presidential election is due to take place on Friday to find Sepp Blatter's replacement.

Blatter , who has been Fifa boss since 1998 had already announced he was quitting after reports emerged he was under investigation in the United States.

READ ALSO

The 60 years old, Platini had been tipped as a future leader of football's world governing body and is a three-time European Footballer of the Year. He is also a former captain of France and has been in charge of Uefa - European football's governing body - since 2007.

In a statement released after the announcement, Platini said the accusations were without foundation and completely made up "beyond reality". He said the communication of the decision was done with "an unbearable arrogance" and that Friday's congress would be remembered in history with the "mark of illegitimacy".

The decision not to overturn the suspensions follows a 12-year ban imposed on Jerome Valcke, who was sacked as secretary general of world football's governing body last month.

Valcke, the man responsible for running Fifa's day-to-day administration, was found guilty of misconduct over the sale of World Cup tickets, abuse of travel expenses, attempting to sell TV rights below their market value and destruction of evidence but he has denied any wrongdoing.

 

Related news

Ghana wins bronze at Women's Afcon

Ghana wins bronze at Women's Afcon

Ghana wins bronze at Women's Afcon