- Hearts moved to the summit of the league table on Sunday
- Hearts' board reversed their decision to increase gate fee at the club's matches
- The Phobians had a packed stadium as a result of the decision to maintain the previous attendanc fees
- Samudeen Ibrahim, Eric Kumi, Isaac Mensah and Mustapha Essuman outplayed Bechem Uunited
- Samuel Yeboah, Mustapha Essuman and Isaac Mensah scored for Hearts
- John Nyamekye scored a consolation for Bechem United
- Team captain Robin Gnagne was given the Hearts Player of the Month award
Accra Hearts of Oak produced put up an impressive display to beat visiting Bechem United 3-1 at their favourite Accra Sports Stadium on Sunday in the Ghana Premier League (GPL) to move to the top of the league table.
Earlier in the week, the club’s board had reversed its mind on the 100% hike in gate fees and the attendance by the teeming supporters was as though saying thank you to the team.
The attendance was near to full capacity which perhaps made the team decide to put up a good fight and beat Bechem United.
Back from red card suspension, Eric Kumi was a live wire in the attack and together with Isaac Mensah, Samudeen Ibrahim and Mustapha Essuman were a handful for the Bechem lads and rifled in three goals past their opponents.
Samuel Yeboah jumped high in the 37th minute to connect with a header an Isaac Mensah cross past Bechem United goalkeeper, Ernest Adu.
A rejuvenated Bechem United came back to the second half stronger but Hearts midfielder, Mustapha Essuman took advantage of some misunderstanding in the Bechem center back pair to score the second goal of the game.
Hearts got a third goal which was well executed between Samuel Yeboah and Essuman that saw man-of-the-match winner, Isaac Mensah score from six yards to make it three.
John Nyamekye scored a late consolation goal which was the first conceded by the Phobians this season.
The Phobians held on to win 3-1 and go top of the table, which saw their fans sing praises for their players and coach, Kenichi Yatsuhatsi.
Club captain, Robin Gnagne was awarded with the Player of the Month award, February category by board chairman, Torgbui Afede.
Other GPL results
Dreams FC 1 – 1 Wa All Stars
Sekondi Hasaacas 1 – 1 Ashgold
Berekum Chelsea 2 – 0 Kotoko
New Edubiase 0 – 0 Inter Allies
Liberty Professionals 1- 0 Techiman FC
Aduana 1- 0 WAFA