- Family and friends gathered at the funeral of prophetess were surprised when they learnt that the pastor had bolted with funeral donations
- The funeral came to an abrupt end when the news about the incident broke
- A son of the dead woman, Kweku Anoma spoke to Adom News on the incident
- In the ensuing struggle over the money, a brother of the deceased got injured
- He has reported the matter to the police who are carrying out investigations
- The familt expressed fear that the husband of the decseased might have connived with the said pastor to steal the proceedings
The family and friends of a deceased prophetess, Mary Aku got the shock of their lives when the head pastor at a funeral ceremony took to his heels with the donations made.
The funeral held at Peprah junction in Nsawam, in the Eastern Region had to come to an abrupt end when news about the incident broke.
Speaking to Adom News, a son of the deceased, Kwaku Anoma said just when church members, friends and sympathizers had doled out their donations, the pastor (name withheld), quickly dashed for the offering bowl and bolted, leaving the funeral grounds.
In an ensuing struggle with onlookers, a brother of the deceased sustained injuries when he tried to stop the said man of God.
READ ALSO: Apprentice arrested for sodomizing 12-year-old boy at Teshie
Anoma said, they least suspected any foul play when the pastor asked them to make available the offering bowl so that he anoint and offer some prayers to sanctify it. He quickly dashed away when the offering bowl was handed over to him.
When asked whether he could tell the amount of money stolen, Anoma said no but explained that, “my mother is the prophetess in the church so all the members, friends and sympathisers in the town gave a lot of money to support the funeral but the pastor quickly rushed for the money and sped off.”
The bemused son of the dead woman stated that the family members were all astonished at the pastor’s conduct since he was accorded much respect and reverence in the community.
“We respected the pastor very much that was why we allowed him to officiate the burial service but he has lost our respect for running away with the money” he fumed.
Meanwhile, the brother of the deceased, Solomon Okine who sustained the injury has reported the incident to the police who are carrying investigations into the matter.
He had expressed fear that the dead woman’s husband only known as Teacher Tano might have connived with the pastor so as to spite the reputation of the family in such despicable manner.