- Sir John has revealed that Jake Obetsebi-Lamptey, the late former chairman of New Patriotic Party died of leukaemia
- Before his death, he said undergoing courses of chemotherapy treatment in South Africa, but relapsed and was transferred to London
- Jake died in his sleep while on admission at the hospital at a hospital in London.
It has been revealed that Jake Obetsebi-Lamptey, the late former chairman of the opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP), died of leukaemia. Leukaemia, a type of cancer found in the blood and bone marrow, is caused by the rapid production of abnormal white blood cells.
Kwadwo Owusu Afriyie, former General Secretary of NPP made the revelation to Adom TV's' Frank Owusu in an exclusive interview on Sunday. Sir John as he is popularly called indicated that the late Jake had planned to come to Ghana December last year but fell ill and was admitted at the hospital. He added that Jake died in his sleep while on admission at the hospital.
"The dream of late Jake was to see Nana Akufo-Addo elected as president ahead of the November 7 election and we will ensure that comes to pass,"stressed Mr Owusu Afriyie.
Jake Obetsebi-Lamptey died early Sunday in the United Kingdom after a short illness. Mr Obetsebi-Lamptey served in various ministerial positions during the Kufuor administration and led the NPP in the 2012 general elections.
Before his death, he said undergoing courses of chemotherapy treatment in South Africa, but relapsed and was transferred to London. A bone marrow transplant, as it was his only chance of a cure.
Facts about leukaemia
- Leukaemia is a cancer of blood cells (and therefore sometimes referred to as blood cancer).
- While the exact cause(s) of leukemia is not known, risk factors have been identified, including radiation exposure and exposure to benzene.
- Common symptoms of chronic or acute leukaemia may include
pain in the bones or joints,
swollen lymph nodes that usually don't hurt,
fevers or night sweats,
feeling weak or tired,
bleeding and bruising easily,
discomfort or swelling in the abdomen,
weight loss or loss of appetite.