At least 23 people have died after being poisoned by sweets 'laced with pesticides' in the Karor Lal Esan area of Pakistan.
The sweets were reportedly purchased from a bakery for a party to celebrate the christening of a baby boy and later distributed among friends and family at the party.
AFP Agency news reports that dozens more fell ill after eating the sweets.
Police say 10 people died on the same day and 13 more have since passed away.
READ ALSO: Horrific:
Local police officer Munir Ahmed told the AFP news agency: “the death toll from consumption of the sweets has now risen to 23, and 52 people are still being treated at various hospitals.”
Police added that three people; two bakery owners and a worker have since been arrested in connection with the incident.
Senior officer Rameez Bukhari, a senior officer indicated he is of the view that the bakery owner might have mistakenly used pesticides in the sweet mixture.