Mother’s Day is a day set aside to honour motherhood. It is also a way of honoring the sacrifices mothers made for their children. The day is observed in different forms throughout the world.
The day is celebrated throughout the world; in different forms, occasions and different dates. For instance in the United States, it is observed as a holiday. In Thailand, Mother’s Day is always celebrated in August on the birthday of the current queen, Sirikit and inEthiopia, families gather each fall to sing songs and eat a large feast as part of Antrosht, a multi-day celebration honoring motherhood.
In this short extract, YEN.com.gh brings you five historical facts about Mothers Day
- Celebrations of mothers and motherhood can be traced back to the ancient Greeks and Romans, who held festivals in honor of the mother goddesses Rhea and Cybele.
- Anna Jarvis founded Mother's Day in 1908 to honour her own mum, Anna Reevis Jarvis.
READ ALSO: Rainstorm hits Northern region of Ghana
- First mothers’ day celebration was in May 1908 she organized at a Methodist church in Grafton, West Virginia by Philadelphia department store owner named John Wanamaker.
- In 1968 Coretta Scott King, wife of Martin Luther King Jr., used Mother’s Day to host a march in support of underprivileged women and children.
- In Ghana, the day is observed on the first Sunday in May and on this day some families celebrate the day by giving mothers a day off from activities like cooking or other household chores and some also give out flowers, cards and candies. Others also take to social media to post the pictures of their mothers with special words.