A former cancer patient is the first man in the US to undergo a penis transplant in a breakthrough surgery that could affect many men with devastating genital injuries.
ABC news reported on Monday that the transplant took place at the Massachusetts General Hospital.
Surgeons reportedly performed the operation earlier this month during a 15-hour procedure in which the patient, Thomas Manning, of Halifax, had part of his penis removed after a cancer diagnosis.
"Today I begin a new chapter of my life with personal hope and hope for others who have suffered genital injuries. In sharing this success with all of you, it’s my hope we can usher in a bright future for this type of transplantation,"Manning was quoted as having said.
Doctors are "cautiously optimistic" about his recovery and will leave the hospital in about three to four days, the report said.
While the penis transplant took 15 hours, the planning had taken years, the report added.