'Man who threatened to bomb Italian embassy not Ghanaian'

'Man who threatened to bomb Italian embassy not Ghanaian'

The frustrated man who reportedly threatened to blow up the Italian embassy is not a Ghanaian, the Italian ambassador to Ghana has said.

'Man who threatened to bomb Italian embassy not Ghanaian'

Police arrest the unidentified man at the Italian embassy

The unnamed young man, said to be a visa applicant, reportedly stormed the embassy on Friday with a gas cylinder and a lighter threatening to burn down the place.

READ ALSO: Find out why Ivorian refugees in Ghana insist on not going home

But the counter terrorism unit of the Ghana Police Service, acted swiftly and bundled him away before he could actualise his threat.

Although several news reports had reported that the man was a Ghanaian, the embassy denied this in a letter sent to graphic.com.gh, saying that he was a foreign national.

READ ALSO: Photos: Accra floods again! Same story, different day

The embassy also stated that all visa proceedings in relation to the case were complied with.

Security was beefed up at the embassy following the incident which was said to have been triggered by a misunderstanding between the man and staff of the embassy.

The man is said to have repeatedly complained about the embassy’s refusal to return his documents, including birth and marriage certificates of his wife who had been refused visa. Their young son, however, was said to have been granted visa.

Related news

Special voting continues Sunday, 4th December after EC extends voting dates

Special voting continues Sunday, 4th December after EC extends voting dates

Special voting continues Sunday, 4th December after EC extends voting dates