Over 50 bodies from the June 3 disaster are yet to be identified and claimed by their relatives, a year after the horrific incident, it has been reported.
The government put the number of dead in the twin flood and fire disaster at 160.
Alhaji Benjamin Seidu, director of the National Disaster and Management Organisation (NADMO) of the Accra Metropolitan Assembly, stated, according to a report by Accra-based Starr FM, that the remains of over 50 people were still lying unclaimed at various hospitals in the capital.
“Fifty to 60 dead bodies are yet to be claimed at the various hospitals…those bodies have not been identified by their relatives,” he said.
Majority of those who died in the June 3 disaster did so in the devastating Goil filling station fire at the Kwame Nkrumah Circle in Accra.
Following torrential rains which caused flooding in several parts of Accra that night, many people had sought refuge at the filling station to escape flood waters from the overflowing Odaw River and uncovered drains, when the explosion happened.
The flood waters in the area had been laden with huge quantities of petrol and diesel from the fuel station’s storage tank, which was said to have been breached by the floods.
The resulting scene was that of devastation, as charred bodies littered what remained of the fuel station.
President John Mahama, who described the incident as 'catastrophic', declared a three-day mourning period in honour of the victims of the fire as well as those who died in floods in other parts of Accra.
He also announced that GHC50 million had been allocated to cover relief and humanitarian operations and clearing of water ways and repair of infrastructure.