Brazil’s government has increased their security measures ahead of next month’s Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro following the attack on Nice in France on July 14 which led to the death of 84 people.
The government said that the measures may make attending the games less comfortable for the over 500,000 foreign visitors but they would result in greater security.
Raul Jungmann, the defence minister said: “The attack in Nice is worrisome for us too. We will review procedures, make more barriers, more spot-checks on visitors and roadblocks.”
Eduardo Paes, Rio’s mayor said security would be beefed up for Olympic delegations from countries which have been targeted.
He gave no further details, but Gen Christophe Gomart , the head of French military intelligence said France had been informed of a planned terror plot on its team at the Rio Games by a Brazilian Islamist militant.
Leonardo Picciani, Brazil sports minister revealed his country’s $24m which is earmarked for the armed forces to meet security needs. He said: “Brazil is confident about its preparations. We are employing the most modern security and defence techniques.”
More than 80,000 police and soldiers will patrol the streets of Rio for the duration of the games.