Contrary to popular belief, the Bible does not condemn masturbation. However, some Christians contend that the practice can be counted as one of the different forms of sexual impurity that the Bible condemns including adultery, fornication and homosexuality.What is masturbation?
Masturbation is the erotic stimulation of oneself often to orgasm usually by the hand or a sex toy.
Pros of masturbation
Although condemned by many religions and cultures; the practice does have some benefits. According to some health experts, these include; helping to reduce stress and pain, relieving sexual tension, reducing insomnia (difficulty sleeping), boosting one’s metabolism, etc.
Cons of masturbation
Despite these benefits, the practice can destroy relationships and be bad for your health especially when done excessively. Some of these negatives include; memory loss, an overproduction of sex hormones, blurred vision, groin pain, sexual exhaustion, which manifests in impotence or erectile dysfunction and breakdown of marriages and relationships.
Here are more of the dangers of masturbation that some have listed:
1. Psychic effects. Masturbation has a tendency to isolate its captives psychologically and socially. In masturbation, the person is focused on self-alone even though he or she usually is fantasizing about someone else at the same time.
2. Emotional deprivation. It is impossible for the one who is practicing this habit to experience the full extent of sex emotions. Therefore, in short-circuiting the emotions, one can easily be removed from the world of reality.
3. Damaged sensibility. The habit of masturbation has a tendency in numbing the mechanism of the sexual organs if practiced excessively. This lessens the sensibility and thus detracts from normal sexual relations of married life.
4. Self-gratification. The emotional background of self-gratification is not the least bit healthy and usually militates against the home, wife and family because it is focused only on self.
5. Control of the mind. Along with the act of masturbation comes the fantasy of the mind. When practiced often, a pattern or cycle seems to become established within the individual’s mind. Thus, perversion has a tendency to control the mind and this, in turn, initiates the act. The real danger lies in the guilt that increases as the individual dwells in this world of fantasy.
Credit: Some notes from bibleresources.org