Every sports fan will attest to that fact that supporting a team can be one of the most exciting things in life.
The case is not any different for sports fans in Ghana.
Today we compile the 11 most heartbreaking moments in sports (mostly football) for Ghanaians.
1. Luis Suarez’ handball denied Dominic Adiyiah from scoring a late minute extra time goal and Asamoah Gyan subsequently missed the resultant penalty kick to prevent Ghana from becoming the African country to reach the semi-finals of the FIFA World Cup.
2. Nkong scored a second half goal for Cameroon to shatter Ghana’s dream of host and win in the semi-finals of AFCON 2008.
3. Ghana flew trouble-laden Sierra Leone to Accra in 1987 for an AFCON qualifying game, but were unbelievably handed a 2-1 defeat on home soil and could manage just a draw in the second leg in Freetown. This denied the Black Stars a place in the finals in Morocco.
4. Germany hammered Ghana 6-1 in a friendly game in Bochum, after Ghana had taken the lead. The game dubbed Bochum disaster till date brings a lot of sad memories.
5. Ghana lost the final of 1992 African Cup final against West African rivals, Ivory via 11-10 marathon penalty shootout in Senegal.
6. Ghana were stunned by a late goal from the US in their opening 2014 World Cup goal and subsequently missed out on the knockout phase of the competition, after drawing against Germany and losing the final group game against Portugal, amidst player boycott over the delay in the payment of appearance fees.
7. Emmanuel Mayuka’s late goal for Zambia against Ghana, after Asamoah Gyan had missed from the spot kick in the early minutes of the semi-finals.
8. Ghana lost the final of the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations to Ivory Coast through a penalty shootout. The Black Stars scored their first two kicks, whereas Ivory Coast wasted the first two, but threw away the advantage to see their West African rivals beat them again in a final.
9. The Black Satellites lost a dramatic penalty shootout against Spain in the quarterfinals of the 1999 FIFA U-20 World Cup.
10. Algeria fought from a goal down to beat the Black Stars 2-1 in the qualifiers for the 1994 World Cup. It is an unforgettable moment, which earned the name Tlemcen disaster among soccer loving fans.
11. Rwanda beat Ghana 1-0 to deny the Black Stars a place in the 2004 Africa Cup of Nations in Tunisia. Ghana failed to qualify for the very first time for the continental showpiece since 1990.