Former president Jerry John Rawlings has warned the governing National Democratic Congress (NDC) not to underestimate the opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP) ahead of the 2016 general elections.
Here is a compilation of the top 5 warnings Rawlings gave to the NDC at the campaign launch on Sunday;
1. “The task ahead of you won’t be as easy task. I will reserve what I have to say till after the elections when I will come round the country to share with you how I think we could restore the kind of strength that can take us well into the future."
2. "There are certain weaknesses that we need to deal with."
3. "Don’t be like the NPP if they want to stay in power for long."
4. "The NPP cannot be underestimated, you know it and I know it. They’ve been in existence for a long time, and have been changing their names up till this day."
5. "The nature of who they are, and what they are and where they’ve come from, it’s something they are happy with and they will be there for a long time."
6. "I keep saying, we cannot afford to fight them (NPP) on their terms. It’s important than we fight them (NPP) on our terms. What are those terms? In other words, let’s not mimic their behaviour. Let us reach into the principles and the values they emerged out of the circumstances that gave birth to us. And if we can hold onto those principles and those values, we will move way into the future and no one can ever defeat us."
7. "Mimic them as some of them are doing and we will run into problems. Let’s have a clean clear and stable election. "