Weekends in Ghana are usually busier than the weekday itself. Most Ghanaian engage in a flurry of activities that have been planned for weeks.
There are some activities that are a weekly ritual, and sometimes involves other family members and friends. Here are 6 very common activities Ghanaians engage in over the weekend:
1. Going to the market: This is possibly the most common activity in every Ghanaian home. Saturdays are mostly reserved for going to the markets to buy foodstuffs, and to cook enough food to last a month. Most markets are crowded with a large number of people bustling through with their shopping bags and goods.
2. Attending a funeral: There is a funeral in Ghana every weekend. At least once, a month, you would hear of a funeral you would need to attend. You would find at least two funeral services happening at every corner of the Ghana.
3. Attending a wedding: Ghanaians love weddings. there is always news of an engagement or wedding happening. If on a Saturday you see Ghanaian people in colourful outfits, especially an African print, chances are they are going to a wedding or traditional marriage ceremony.
4. Travelling to their hometowns: Visiting family is always important to every Ghanaian. And weekends are the perfect time to do just that. At the bus stations, you get to see many people with mini suitcases and travelling bags heading to visit their families in their different hometowns. Cars going to the various regional capitals are at their busiest, aside the holidays, during weekends.
5. Attending parties: Ghanaian people love a good time. There is always some party (whether big or small) happening somewhere. There is always lots of food and drinks and laughter.
6. Sleeping: We don't mess with our nap time! Weekends are the best time to sleep and rest from all the stress of the week. Ghanaians love their sleep time and tend to sleep in mostly on Saturday afternoons.
What other ways do you spend your weekends? Share with us in our comments section below or send us an email at email@example.com.