With many women facing issues of infertility, surrogacy is fast rising as one of the most popular sources of baby making for these desperate families.
An interesting twist to surrogacy stories that happens to be recurring nowadays is women who carry their children's babies, i.e their grandchildren.
Some people have frowned on this act but other people have viewed it as a welcome development for women who are struggling with infertility and cannot afford external surrogates.
Here are 5 women who were more than happy to carry their grandchildren for 9 months for their daughters.
1. Fifty-one-year-old Sherri Dickson volunteered to be her 32-year-old daughter, Mandy’s surrogate Mandy’s first pregnancy ended in early labor and loss of her baby boy, whom she named Theo.
2. Utah resident Julia Navarro, 58 volunteered to give birth to a baby girl for her 32-year-old daughter Lorena McKinnon and her husband Micah, who were getting desperate to start a family.
3. Tracey Thompson, 54, agreed to carry her daughter Kelley's baby when Kelley and her husband Aaron were having trouble conceiving. She said it was the ‘best gift’ she could give to her daughter.
4. For Kristine Casey, 61, giving the gift of motherhood to her infertile daughter by carrying and giving birth to her own grandson was a projection of her ultimate love for her. With the help of hormone supplementation, Casey, who had gone through menopause 10 years earlier, became pregnant during her second round of in vitro fertilization.
5. 53-year-old Cindy Reutzel acted as a surrogate mom to her daughter — giving birth to a healthy baby that was an implanted embryo made from her daughter’s egg and her son-in-law’s sperm, according to the AP.
Will you ever consider being a surrogate?