Hibiscus tea popularly called Sobolo is a delicious, healthy drink made from the petals of the Hibiscus flower and is widely appreciated drink in most parts of Africa and the world.
Sobolo has gained much popularity among Ghanaians, so much so that there are many variations of the drink now, with added flavours to improve taste and also the innovative ideas like Sobolo cocktails and so on. However, there are important health benefits to the drink too, and here are five of them:
1. It reduces blood pressure: Drinking a significant amount of Sobolo per day has shown to reduce blood pressure levels in hypertensive adults. Incorporating Sobolo into one's diet helps to control blood pressure.
2. It lowers cholesterol levels: Sobolo helps to reduce the cholesterol in one's system. Lowered cholesterol levels also lead to reduced risk of heart disease.
3. It helps in weight loss: Studies have shown that drinking a cup of Sobolo after meals has been known to aid in weight control. The oxidants in the Hibiscus tea helps to reduce the absorption of dietary carbohydrates and helps in weight loss.
4. It acts as an aphrodisiac: Yes that's right. Sobolo can also be an aphrodisiac. Aphrodisiacs are foods or drinks that stimulate sexual desire, therefore Sobolo acting as an aphrodisiac helps in stimulating one's sexual desires and allows for a healthy libido.
5. It helps to protect the immune system: Sobolo is shown to prevent constipation and bladder infections. It strengthens the immune system by protecting it from colds and other bacterial infections and also increases the defence mechanisms against other infections.
Share your thoughts in our comments section below or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.