Family weekends are a great way of relaxing and bonding with your spouses and kids. Luckily Ghana is a beautiful haven for great family getaways.
Holidays and simple weekend trips are really taken seriously, especially by those in the capital city of Accra. As such resorts and guest houses are springing up in various locations outside the capital. Here are 6 top locations for weekend getaways in Ghana:
1. Ada: Ada is located in the Eastern Region and has quickly become the getaway more family and friends. This beautiful town with its beautiful beach-side feel and lovely resorts is a great road trip idea for everyone. The Akosombo dam and Adomi bridge are close tourist attractions near the town and it offers so many fun opportunities to relax, and enjoy life.
2. Aburi: This lovely mountain region with its breathtaking views and serene atmosphere is especially great for couples and friends looking to get out of town for the weekend. The town boasts of many stunning hotels and landscapes. Of course ,the popular Aburi Botanical Gardens is an attraction worth seeing.
3. Elmina: This is possibly one of the top weekend getaway destinations in Ghana. The Elmina castle has been among the biggest tourist destinations in Ghana for decades. It is a great place for kids to learn history, and perfect for the whole family to enjoy the lovely beaches and delicious food. The Elmina castle is only a few miles from the Cape Coast castle, also a perfect place to learn the history of the trans-Atlantic slave trade. People have thronged these castles for many years, looking to understand the history and discover their roots.
4. Akosombo: Popularly called the city of light, Akosombo is a town where Ghana's foremost hydro-electric dam is located. This beautiful township is situated next to the Volta lake and offers delicious foods and hearty, friendly people. There are resorts that offer amazing ferry rides and there is the lovely Adomi Bridge to walk across with its stunning view.
5. Paga: The Paga crocodile pond is great sight-seeing location where the history of the pond and how the native co-exist peacefully with the crocodiles is told. This destination offers horseback rides and interactions between the friendly crocodiles and tourists. It is also not too far from the Mole National Park and the Salaga Slave Market, and they can be easily accessed to or from Paga.
6. Wli Waterfalls: The Wli waterfalls is located in the Hohoe municipality and is the highest waterfall in West Africa. Vacationers get to experience great trails for hiking and the soothing waters of the walls. There are lodges established walking distances from the falls so that visitors have easy access and can walk there. It is a beautiful location with lovely people from the township near the falls.
What do you think of these destinations? Send us your thoughts by posting them in our comments section below or via our email at firstname.lastname@example.org.