Despite the shortcomings that every leader has, Osagyefo Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, Ghana’s boldest leader to have fought for the freedom of Ghana was an exceptional president; one that Ghana may never have again in a long time.
To this day, some of the groundwork laid by Kwame Nkrumah are still heavily depended on even though the initiative of most of them were rejected by the masses.
Some critics have said, had Kwame Nkrumah had the chance to serve longer, Ghana would have been a much better country today.
Here are seven photos that prove that Ghana’s first president was, and will always be the best she ever had.
1. The only motorway in Ghana was built by Kwame Nkrumah and now serves as the quickest route to travel from Accra to Tema and its environs.
2. The Akosombo dam since its construction in the 1950s remains the main source of electricity for Ghana and neighbouring countries.
3. Kwame Nkrumah was all about uniting Africa and made it one of his Key agendas to help other African countries as well as linking the diaspora back to Africa.
4. Three of the major universities in Ghana were built by Kwame Nkrumah with the foresight of a population increase in these schools. Today The University of Ghana, the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology and the University of Cape Coast educates up to 100,000 students each year.
5. Osagyefo also created major railway lines between Kumasi, Accra and Takoradi to foster the economic trade between regions.
6. Dr. Nkrumah was also the president who built Korle Bu and Komfo Anokye Teaching hospitals that serve as two of the most advanced hospitals in Ghana today.
7. Several communities making up the township of Tema was the brainchild of Dr. Nkrumah. He wanted an ideal location where workers in the ports and factories could reside while developing one of the most important sectors of the nation.
What Nkrumah brainchild are you most thankful for today?