The irresponsibility of the gas operators caused the fire - Moses Asaga

The irresponsibility of the gas operators caused the fire - Moses Asaga

The National Petroleum Authority (NPA) has revealed that the tragic gas explosion at a gas station in La, Accra was caused by the 'irresponsible human error' of the operators of the gas tanker.

Get all the latest political news here

The irresponsibility of the gas operators caused the fire - Moses Asaga

READ ALSO: 5 celebrities who absolutely slayed on Instagram

The NPA Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Moses Asaga, explained two bolts which should have tightened the lid on the gas tanker were missing.

The pressure of the fully loaded gas tanker was forced out 'like a missile' causing the explosion, he said on Joy FM's Super Morning Show on Friday.

The irresponsibility of the gas operators caused the fire - Moses Asaga

PAY ATTENTION: Get all the latest news from Ghana here

Sadly, the death toll from Thursday night's explosion at the Louis Gas Station behind the Trade Fair Centre at Labadi in Accra has risen to nine.

The irresponsibility of the gas operators caused the fire - Moses Asaga

READ ALSO: Juliet Ibrahim paints the city blue in new Christmas photos

Some of the bodies were charred beyond recognition in a pre-Christmas tragedy. It has also left at least 10 in critical condition.

In the company of a safety officer and in an effort to obtain a first-hand understanding of the cause of the tragic events, Asaga said he found that the facilities in the gas station were top-notch.

"We noticed that the facility there had a very high level of integrity pipeline, dispensers and values were all intact," he said.

The irresponsibility of the gas operators caused the fire - Moses Asaga

Satisfied that the fault could not have come from maintenance lapses, they turned their attention to the burnt gas tanker.

READ ALSO: Legalise our business Mr. President - Okada drivers cry out to Nana Addo

It was fully loaded with LPG from Tema and had parked since mid-morning to discharge gas into the tanks in the station.

"That particular tank was the one that the fault came from," he said. Explaining how gas tankers work, Moses Asaga said, "each of the gas tankers has a cork (lid) on it... and you have to bolt the lid just like we bolt the tyres to our cars so that the tyre does not spin off".

The irresponsibility of the gas operators caused the fire - Moses Asaga

READ ALSO: Nana Addo expresses devastation concerning La gas explosion

Unfortunately, two bolts were missing compromising the safety of the gas tanker. After a long wait since morning, the worst happened.

"The pressure built up and because the lid was not tight, the pressure was able to force the lid open.

"It came out like a missile... and that is why it spewed out 200 meters into the Labadi Trade Fair site and caused the fire", he reported.

"...it was purely a human error, an irresponsibility on the part of the one who was in charge of corking the lead of the tanker at the loading site "...it was an irresponsible human error..something that does not need any technology", he repeated.

Related news

Something terrible has just happened to Sammy Kufuor's mother (photos)

Something terrible has just happened to Sammy Kufuor's mother (photos)

Something terrible has just happened to Sammy Kufuor's mother (photos)
Mailfire view pixel