A health study has revealed that 98% of salad samples prepared by street food vendors were contaminated with bacteria known as Escherichia coli which cause food poisoning.
Researchers also found that 90% of the salad sampled were considered unsatisfactory for consumption based on the Ghana Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) food safety standards.
“Apart from food contamination, we wanted to know how awareness of health risk of irrigated wastewater influence purchases and consumption of food prepared with hygiene practices,” Dr. Prince Antwi-Agyei, lead researcher with the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK, said.
“We, therefore, interviewed 160 consumers of street food in two neighbourhoods in Accra and also 160 customers who buy salad vegetables at three central markets, also in Accra,” he added.
The group recommends that public health workers would have to intensify food safety education as research reveals people who eat outside pay little attention to hygiene.
Results of a study suggest only two percent of street food patrons consider health in making decision on where to eat or buy food.
The report by a team of international scientists is published in the international peer-reviewed journal (PLOS) one and also in the Journal of Science and Technology.
Researchers undertook separate exercises in Accra between September and December 2012 as well as June to August 2013.