President John Dramani Mahama says that the recent appointments he made that put him under heavy criticism were all done in the best interest of Ghana.
John Mahama has been heavily criticized by a section of the public over his recent appointments and approval of salary increments for some group of Ghanaian workers few weeks to leaving office. But according to him, all the decision were made in the larger interest of the country.
Speaking to representatives of the Ghana Catholic Bishops Conference who called on him at the Flagstaff House on Wednesday, President Mahama insisted that, even though he had lost the recently held national elections to the New Patriotic Party’s (NPP) Nana Akufo-Addo, he remained the President and was responsible for steering the affairs of the country until he officially hands over power on January 7, 2017.
“We are looking forward to the inauguration. The transition has gone smoothly so far and we have engaged each in utmost good faith. Our democracy is evolving and so there are some constitutional issues that definitely has come up as to whether a President is still a president even after he has lost an election until the midnight of the inauguration. But I believe convention or legality might answer those questions. So for whatever we agree to do, we set the pace for the future and so we’ll continue to work together for the greater interest of Ghana,” Mahama said.
Ever since the NDC lost the elections on December 9, 2016, President John Dramani Mahama made some new adjustments which have not sat well with a section of Ghanaians; most recently the appointments of new Commissioners for the NCCE and CHRAJ.
He also appointed a new Auditor General and increased allowances for service personnel by sixty percent.