Director of Operations at the presidency, Lord Commey says the erstwhile National Democratic Congress (NDC) government spent 4 million cedis on last year’s Independence Day march past, insisting this year’s budget is “modest”.
Get more news on issues in Ghana here
The newly inaugurated New Patriotic Party (NPP) government led by president Akufo-Addo revealed that this year’s Ghana@60 celebrations will cost 20 million cedis.
However, the news raised eyebrows among sections of the public; with some saying the amount was outrageous.
The official logo and theme for the anniversary were launched last week, as preparations continue towards the March 6 event.
PAY ATTENTION: Get all the news and photos for free on the YEN.com.gh app
Lord Commey – who is a member of the Ghana@60 planning committee – says the NDC government spent 4 million cedis just for the march past of last year’s celebrations, adding that the Nana Addo led administration will ensure there is accountability for whatever money is spent.
“When I check the 59th anniversary celebration budget of the march past alone at the independence square it was close to 4 million Ghana cedis and the records are there, and that was the records,” Lord Commey said during a press conference at the FlagStaff House.
“Change has come and certainly we will be modest. And I’m sure at the end of this very exercise, Ghanaians will be very proud of it ….Because transparency is key, [and] proper accountability is also very key.”
Ghana will mark her 60th anniversary on 6th March 2017.