- A boy's mom innocently posted his photo on Facebook
- Her friend noticed something wrong and advised her to take him for an eye checkup
- The checkup revealed an eye disease
A mom in Essex, UK found out her son has a rare eye disease after sharing a photo of him on Facebook.
33-year-old Christina Doughty received a message from her friend Chantel Riley advising her to take her son, two-year-old Miguel, for an eye checkup.
Chantel had noticed that Miguel's left eye reflected yellow instead of red in the camera flash, which was a sign that the eye could have been blind.
When Christina took her son for the checkup, she was shocked to discover that his left eye was indeed blind.
In an interview, she said: “I think what is most heartbreaking thing about it all is my son has been blind in one eye the whole time and I had no idea.”
Miguel was diagnosed with stage 3A of Coats' disease, which necessitates immediate attention to save his left eye. He is set to undergo laser treatment in June.
Chantel said she had read articles before about the condition and when she saw Miguel's picture, she knew she had to alert Christina.
Christina said: "I am trying to spread awareness of checking your children's eyes. I am baffled as to why new mums aren't given the information that taking a photo of their child in the dark with the flash on can diagnose eye conditions."
Watch the video below to learn more about Coats' disease.