KABA's comments on Major Mahama death were misleading - GAF

KABA's comments on Major Mahama death were misleading - GAF

- The GAF says some of the reportage on the murder of Major Mahama is “wild”, “unsubstantiated” and “insensitive”

- According to the GAF, it was worried that such misleading information had been peddled in the media and it is ready to provide clarity on circumstances surrounding the former officer’s death

The Ghana Armed Forces (GAF) has cautioned the media to be wary of what they put out concerning the death of the late Major Maxwell Mahama, insisting comments made by Asempa Fm presenter, Kofi Asare Baffour Acheampong (KABA) were misleading.

The gruesome murder of the late Major Mahama has been the trending topic in the last two weeks, with varied reports emerging on how he was killed.

KABA's comments on Major Mahama death were misleading - GAF

Director of Public Relations of the Ghana Armed Forces, Colonel Aggrey Quarshie

The late soldier was lynched by residents of Denkyira-Obuasi on suspicion of being an armed robber while he was on duty in the community.

READ ALSO: Barbara Mahama to be interrogated by police CID

Earlier reports claimed that the late army chief's death was planned since he was in Denkyira-Obuasi to stop the activities of certain illegal miners.

Other reports also suggested that a gun found on him sparked suspicion of him being an armed robber, leading to the mob attack on him.

But the news that really grabbed the headlines were comments from KABA on Asempa FM's 'Ekosii Sen' show.

The radio presenter alleged that the late Major Mahama was killed after being ambushed by some illegal miners who he was scheduled to have a meeting with.

Get more YEN news here.

He further alleged that some military officials had earlier managed to escape same fate due to their numerical advantage after trying to engage the illegal miners in the community.

However, a strong statement from the army command has described the presenter's claims as misleading, while advising the media to refrain from such 'unsubstantiated, comments.

Sections of a statement signed by Director of Public Relations of the Ghana Armed Forces, Colonel Aggrey Quarshie, said: "We wish to state categorically that the claims by KABA that the late Major Mahama was initially deployed at Denkyira-Boase from January to March 2017 are totally FALSE."

Other portions added that "GAF wishes to advise media personnel to be mindful of their sources of information especially during this period in order not to misinform the public. They should pay due regard to the sensitivity of the deceased family in these trying moments."

READ ALSO: Top NPP official wishes Mahama runs for president in 2020

Read the full statement from GAF below:

In the aftermath of the unfortunate death of Major Maxwell Adam Mahama, a number of unsubstantiated assertions have been made by Kwodwo Asare Baffour Acheampong (KABA) on Asempa FM on Monday 5 June 2017.
We wish to state categorically that the claims by KABA that the late Major Mahama was initially deployed at Denkyira-Boase from January to March 2017 are totally FALSE. The first time Maj Mahama was deployed to the location was 9 May 2017. The assertion that the late officer was due to write exams and was relieved by a Lieutenant is also FALSE. Major Mahama passed his promotion examination in June 2015 (2 years ago). On the contrary, it is the Lieutenant who is writing his promotion examination in June 2017 (this year) for which reason Major Mahama was deployed on relieving duties.
Regarding the circumstances of his death, it is also important to place on record that investigations are still on-going and therefore it would be both prejudicial and insensitive to make wild, unsubstantiated comments at this stage. The issue of the 4 Warrant Officers who are facing disciplinary investigation is also unconnected with the current case and we advise that no attempt should be made to draw any linkages.
GAF wishes to advise media personnel to be mindful of their sources of information especially during this period in order not to misinform the public. They should pay due regard to the sensitivity of the deceased family in these trying moments.
GAF, therefore, wishes to reiterate that the allegations made by KABA on his programme which has been recorded and being circulated online, social media networks and some mainstream electronic and print media outlets, are misleading.
GAF once again reiterates its readiness to clarify matters and give GAF’s side of issues to media personnel to avert the publication and broadcast of misleading information which has long-term security implications.

Do you have any stories to share with YEN? Get featured! Contact us on Facebook and email via info@yen.com.gh.

Related news

Nana Konadu Agyemang Rawlings accused of financially misappropriating funds

Nana Konadu Agyemang Rawlings accused of financially misappropriating funds

Pressure piles up on Nana Konadu Agyemang Rawlings to present proper books of accounts
YEN.com.gh
Mailfire view pixel